Tank pickup tubes...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I keep hearing of them breaking off, are they rubber? I ran out of fuel on a mostly full rear tank last week -cuss

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also would like to know what the deal is with these things. If I run my rear tank gets below 1/2 then it will fuel starve around turns but will run dry on flat ground.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
yeah i think i need some info on this subject too..... cuz my guage says my tanks are empty and when filled only holds 11 gallons (front) and 14 gallons (rear).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a tube...its a suction foot. Due to a rather poor design, the rubber foot does break off with age. there's a valve on the side of the foot that is exposed at 1/4 tank and air does get in. When I go into a tank, I remove the foot and replace with a section of feul hose. Rather than worry about how close to the bottom I cut the hose, I go a little long and have it point rearwards from the curve. here's some pics, hopefully it will solve the "mystery"

You must be registered for see images attach

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I have a full rear tank that won't keep the truck running at all. About 60 seconds after I switch over, it dies. Switch back to the front & I'm ok after the air clears out. I thought I might have a FSV problem, but this sounds like it could be more relevant in my case too. Any thoughts Towcat?

Oh, & my rear gauge dosen't work at all. Now the front gauge with a full tank sweeps ALL the way past F & seem to work ok as the tank drains.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
I have a full rear tank that won't keep the truck running at all. About 60 seconds after I switch over, it dies. Switch back to the front & I'm ok after the air clears out. I thought I might have a FSV problem, but this sounds like it could be more relevant in my case too. Any thoughts Towcat?
FSV :D
....one more thing...
it just occured to me...pull the feed line from the back tank to the FSV at the FSV side. put air to the line to make absolutely sure you have no blockage. Recconect and see what happens.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
towcat said:
FSV :D
....one more thing...
it just occured to me...pull the feed line from the back tank to the FSV at the FSV side. put air to the line to make absolutely sure you have no blockage. Recconect and see what happens.

Thanks. When I'm ready for my diesel bath, I'll check that out. LOL

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
Rather than worry about how close to the bottom I cut the hose, I go a little long and have it point rearwards from the curve. "
Wouldn't it move around from fuel sloshing in the tank?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EvergreenRanch said:
yeah i think i need some info on this subject too..... cuz my guage says my tanks are empty and when filled only holds 11 gallons (front) and 14 gallons (rear).
That's about where I'm at...(E) or very close to it =...16+- gallons front-some 13+- rear.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Wouldn't it move around from fuel sloshing in the tank?
it might move around but I have the end going on the metal tube hose clamped down so I really doubt it will move far.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Scott,

It sounds like you have an air leak in the line between the FSV and your rear tank.
Check the line for splits, cracks and rub spots.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
That plastic pickup really doesn't seem like it's made of the right material. When i opened up my tank due to it not wanting to run past 1/4 tank, the pickup was just anihillated. There was about 30 pieces of it in the bottom of the tank and i was able to kinda piece them all together to kinda guess what the thing looked like before and how i might build a new one. I'm pretty sure the one way valve thing is so if your fuel gells up and gets stuck at the bottom filter of the intake it'll suck fuel through the one way valve instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online