Help dianosing engine rattle

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, took a slightly better video this evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUM5m-L0sg&feature=youtu.be

I also noticed that when I push the timing advance lever (left side of the injection pump) all the way in I get a distinct miss. That's what i was doing toward the end of the vid though you can't really hear the miss. I can see it in the engine though. Not sure if that factors in or not. Tomorrow I'm going to try a compression test and pulling the passenger head. Starting to think this is going to turn into a major undertaking here...... :puke:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I would pop test the injectors first (cuz I made a pop tester). It's easier & cheaper than tearing the engine down.
What is the oil pressure like?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Testing injectors is definitely on the list. It does sound very much like a bad injector, and behaves sort of like one too. However, the fact that I've done 2 separate tests to isolate it from the fuel system (loosening injectors and turning the ignition off coasting downhill in gear) and both show that it's not fuel related makes me wonder.

Oil pressure is ~50-60 cold, 40-50 2000 rpm hot and ~15 hot idle. Never run out of oil, never has any issues with oil pressure.

The first incarnation of the motor rebuild did suffer a dropped valve and threw a rod, and this engine uses many of the same parts off that one; crank, 7 undamaged rods, 7 undamaged pistons, unaffected head, exhaust valves, valve train (except that cylinder) cam, etc. I know the block, piston, rod, rod, bearing, head, 2 damaged intake valves, rockers, pushrods were replaced and everything else was inspected thoroughly. I think those 2 lifters were replaced as well, but not 100% sure. So it's possible this is somehow related to unsuspected damage from that even, though I haven't figured out what it could be yet.

Today i plan to check compression, check the passenger valve train running and see if I can isolate that advanced miss and then probably see if I check out that injector.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, got a set of new injectors on order, should have them this week. Also hope to do compression and check the passenger valve train this weekend.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure hmm doesn't behave like mine I'm 40 to 60 cold and always no matter what 20 min 42 or 44 hot workin hard. Am I broken or is somthing off with yours? Probley not as your motor is new and mines old.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so i think I traced it to a collapsed lifter on #7 exhaust valve. Replacement of the injectors had no effect, compression is good (450-500 psi) in the 7 holes I can check, (one has a seized glow plug) all 7 cylinders hole pressure well during leak down testing (sort of, I put 100 psi air in the cylinder and check for leakage to the manifolds/crankcase and then see how well it holds pressure when air is removed) and all of the rockers and valves look good.

With the intake hat off though I am able hear a faint woof, and listening on the rockers with the stethoscope has a click noise from that valve. Going to try seafoam and see if that might help but my guess is it's mechanical damage from when the engine threw a rod. I was planning to put TYP4's cam in before too long so we'll just do lifters then too and hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks,
~John

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devon,

That sounds too high to me. I've never heard of an IDI that ran over 15 psi hot idle. 40-60 is pretty normal at 1500+ rpm.

These use a high volume low pressure system and the stock pressure port is on the very far end of the oil system, not right off the pump like most cars.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, still working on this..... I thought I had it isolated to a bad lifter, but I replaced all 16 lifters with new to no avail. All of the valve train parts looked in good shape, no evidence of any problems anywhere in the system. I did find one valve rotator that was stuck but can't think how that would cause this noise....

I also got my oil analysis back, it came up moderately high in iron, but normal for bearing metals and aluminum. I'm having technical difficulties posting the report here.

I've also run over 1000 miles since I've been trying to diagnose this with no noticeable changes. A significant part of this was pulling trailers and I've pulled some pretty good hills without any problems. I'm still baffled..... Doesn't seem to have any effect other than being noisy, but something is definitely not right somewhere in there. The evidence points to the valve train somehow but I've done everything short of pulling heads to check that out.....

rwelli1001

Reaction score
OK it's been 4 years. What did you finally come up with? Mine started making same sound on my way down from Pikes Peak Summit of 14,115' on July 2 this year. About 5 miles from the top. After using engine for speed control on the way down. My noise sounds like its coming more from Cylinder #3 but is more in time with cylinder 1 valve operations after removing the cover. Even tried using old injector in cylinder 1 for effect. No change.
Truck weight about 8500 lbs. 4X4 5 speed stick extended cab with 8' bed. 232K miles. Never have opened the engine up yet. Original Injection pump rebuilt 2 years ago at 205K miles and New injectors installed at the same time. Also How much oil should be pouring from the push rod to rocker arm connection?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine as near as I can tell turned out to be previous overheating damage. The engine has overheated not long after being rebuild due to a leak from the block heater screw falling out. At the time there didn't seem to be any problems or damage after fixing the leak so I had more or less forgotten about it. When I tore into it though I found a small (~1/8") section of one of the pistons welding to the cylinder wall and ripped out of the piston - basically the top land between top ring groove and piston crown had been ripped off the piston and welded to the cylinder at TDC. My best guess is the rattle was the piston smacking that little bit every time it came up. Near as I can tell it started to seize and the piston failed at a weak spot there. Not sure how long it must have been like that, probably 4-5 years and 50k miles? Certainly possible it happened some other time, but that's the only time that engine really got that hot, so most likely when it occurred. Very odd problem.

Yours sound like a valve train issue to me. How closely where you watching the rpm going downhill? No governor protection when you're coasting like that and easy to over rev if you're not careful. The dynamic forces from high rpm are essentially the same loaded or not, so it's possible for no load over reving to have caused problems somehow. Not sure exactly what/how though, hard to say.

rwelli1001

Reaction score
First thank you for responding. Very careful with RPM on the down hill. No more than 2800. I still needed to get back home to Vegas. And was looking forward to seeing what my mileage home was to be. (Only expecting about 12 MPG for the trip! Very pleasantly surprised with 16 MPG going to Colorado Springs from Las Vegas NV on I 70. Pushing 8500 lbs with 4/10 gears in the rear end)

pic's of my F-250 on the Summit
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rwelli1001/media/image_zpscomrrl2y.jpeg.html?sort=2&o=1
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rwelli1001/media/image_zpspnkblj1b.jpeg.html?sort=2&o=2
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rwelli1001/media/IMG_1174_zpssittavko.mp4.html?sort=2&o=3

This video coming off the auto transport at home. You can here the clicking from the engine.
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rwelli1001/media/IMG_1294_zpsxgcys6zz.mp4.html?sort=2&o=4

When I get this one figured out I will let you know.
Thanks again
Rwelli1001

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online