WONT PRIME AFTER IP INSTALL HELP!

loganmick

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed a new injection pump to replace the leaking one. I replaced it with a re-manufactured one. Now I can't get it to prime. I've got fuel in the filter although it isn't puking out at the schrader valve like my friends IDI, its just barely squirting out. I've tried spraying a little WD40 to get it to start. This just has me stumped.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injection pump or lift pump? You say you replaced one but give symptoms for the other...

If it's just the IP: make sure the FSS is plugged in and loosen the injector lines and crank till fuel comes out.

loganmick

Reaction score
I replaced the Injection Pump. I could not get it to prime so I figured when I removed the supply line to the injection pump the filter got air in it. So I bled the schrader valve to remove air from the fuel filter.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, you're on the right track to bleed the fuel fiter assembly. Now you need to bleed the injector lines by loosening the nuts

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a couple of questions.

When you push the Schrader valve, is there any fuel at all coming out?

If yes, can you loosen one of the injector lines at an injector and get fuel to come out when cranking?

Lastly, how fast is the engine spinning over? It takes quite a bit of cranking to prime a new IP.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a weak lift pump or plugged fuel filter. It should squirt out on the pump cycle. Could also be slow crank speed. That being said, it should still prime eventually, though i would want to address the weak lift pump eventually too - it could be that the injection pump was starving for fuel due to this problem and this either killed the pump or was the original problem that may you think the pump was bad.

That being said, once you have clean fuel to filter bleed valve the pump should prime on it's own though it takes a bit. I've found that removing the injection pump return valve assembly (nut looking part on top of the pump that return line threads into) allows fuel to flow freely through the pump and primes it much better than just cranking. Woln't find this is any book though, and you're not supposed to need to..... I've had a a few times where it seemed to get air bound and would not prime until this was done.

Wd40/starting fluid woln't do anything without some fuel getting injected, so no point in using it... very very easy to hydrolock the engine from doing it too...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you only remove the IP from the gear cover....or did you remove the entire ip gear cover with ip attached?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same problem when I replaced my pump. I toasted a starter trying to get it to prime. Ended up the reman pump was bad. Switched it out for another and it started right up. Hope that isn't your problem but if you have done all the tricks and it still won't prime I'd contact the builder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online