Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curt and reese make a 10k ball mount also

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting lost in the weight distribution hitch with sway control.. the camper place wants to sell me a setup made by husky for $530 bucks installed. I think that's a bit pricey so I have been looking online and looseing my mind.. here are the specs of the camper.. wildwood x lite 261bh. It says hitch weight 434lbs unloaded vehicle weight 4314lbs cargo carrying weight capacity 3082. 29ft. So I have found a few but what would be the best. :) for this setup. Thanks Joe

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your max gvw on trailer would max at 7400#
Max tounge weight being 431#,,,, empty or fully loaded( I am unsure on this one).
Whats cgvw on trucks tag minus the 7400# trailer? Is it more than the truck weighs?
Assuming ya load it to capacity...( some do some don't)
Wd hitch specs are what?
Reciever rating ?
Ball mount rating?
Ball rating?

Some one else is gunna ask and then give you an answer based on these questions.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your max gvw on trailer would max at 7400#;
Max tounge weight being 431#,,,, empty or fully loaded( I am unsure on this one).
Whats cgvw on trucks tag minus the 7400# trailer? Is it more than the truck weighs?
Assuming ya load it to capacity...( some do some don't)
Wd hitch specs are what?
Reciever rating ?
Ball mount rating?
Ball rating?

Some one else is gunna ask and then give you an answer based on these questions.
8800 for the truck. (93 f250 extended cab idi diesel non turbo e40d trans axle is code 39 3.55)
Receiver I'm going with the curt 15300

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
check local camper dealerships, sometimes they have old ones people left with trade ins real cheap

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trailer tongue weight on the hitch ball should be at least 10% of the trailer weight never less, 15% to 20% is better. With the trailer hooked up, if your rear bumper doesn't sink more than 2", you don't need a weight distributor. Weight distributors transfers the rear weight to the front axle so the steering is solid, lifting the front with too much weight on the rear causes wandering which is dangerous.

Not enough tongue weight will cause the trailer to sway.

Always load the trailer with what your going to carry and the bed of the truck, then hookup the trailer and keep it and the tow vehicle as level as possible. You can measure the front and rear bumpers to the ground, then after hookup, see what the difference is.

Never travel with a full load of water or sewage. Only carry a few gallons of water for toilet use if your on a long distance travel.

On interstate speeds of 70+ can you engaged the o.d.?.
Way to fast pulling a trailer. albeit. towcats video.

Keep your speed at 60 MPH or below, a 29 ft pull trailer is about the max for a F250.

All hitches are marked as to what there rating is, with or without a weight distributor.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trailer tongue weight on the hitch ball should be at least 10% of the trailer weight never less, 15% to 20% is better. With the trailer hooked up, if your rear bumper doesn't sink more than 2", you don't need a weight distributor. Weight distributors transfers the rear weight to the front axle so the steering is solid, lifting the front with too much weight on the rear causes wandering which is dangerous.

Not enough tongue weight will cause the trailer to sway.

Always load the trailer with what your going to carry and the bed of the truck, then hookup the trailer and keep it and the tow vehicle as level as possible. You can measure the front and rear bumpers to the ground, then after hookup, see what the difference is.

Never travel with a full load of water or sewage. Only carry a few gallons of water for toilet use if your on a long distance travel.

Way to fast pulling a trailer. albeit. towcats video.

Keep your speed at 60 MPH or below, a 29 ft pull trailer is about the max for a F250.

All hitches are marked as to what there rating is, with or without a weight distributor.
i'd agree with you until it comes to crosswind issues and he's in crosswind country.
weight dist with sway control is a must for the occasional traveler.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah @towcat I should have said he does indeed need a sway control and weight distrib hitch. The 650 lb would be sufficient but the 1000 is much better.
For and when BACKING UP a trailer with a sway control, the sway control has to be loosened for a 20* degree or less turn. It's best to remove it when negotiating at a campground if backing into a space.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1993_Ford_F-250+and+F-350.htm

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17322.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Pro-Series/PS49902.html

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you would be wise to have that Camper place to install your hitch. The $530 is a pretty good price installed as long as it includes the weight distrib and sway bar.
Make sure the distrib bars are #1000 LB.
There is actually only 3 - 4 manufactures of hitches, they just put different names on them. All have to be registered with DOT and approved. `
Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Reese, and Valley. Thule, Yakima are Chinese.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys the camper made it home. Ran it with out overdrive engaged hit 65 once and 60 most of the Time

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what hitch did you put on ? Or did you use just the bumper for the hitch?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online