e4od to zf5 swap help

swhs93

Reaction score
Hi I have a 90 f250 ext cab 4x4 with an e4od and am working towards getting everything i need to swap it out with a zf5, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing the swap or knows how hard it is or how long it took them.

Thanks

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
You should come up to my place for my axle swap with that kind of speed. Took me two long days to switch out my 2 wheel e4od to 4 wheel drive with all that goes with that.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
id say be patient doing it and expect to find issues and things you need and dont have. if it's a 4wd truck the rod that connects to the transfer case will have to be shortened. Driveshafts will be different lengths.

if you have a 4wd truck get a 4wd donor truck. a 2wd crossmember wont work. it didn't for me at least.

swhs93

Reaction score
Thx everyone I found a 4x4 87 truck (mine is 4x4) its obviously bolted up to a 6.9 but it will bolt up to my 7.3 right? And its a regular cab but the front shaft should work and ill have to hunt down a rear one. Thx again.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Thx everyone I found a 4x4 87 truck (mine is 4x4) its obviously bolted up to a 6.9 but it will bolt up to my 7.3 right? And its a regular cab but the front shaft should work and ill have to hunt down a rear one. Thx again.

the front shaft is different if its a dana 50 or 60 in the front.

The ZF5 in my truck was behind a 6.9 before i cracked the block. works great!

also on the rear shaft, i had my stock one lengthened to fit. in your case, yours might bolt in as they are about the same length. if not a modded your shaft isn't a big deal.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
there is about a 6" difference going from e4od to zf5. I had enough spare shafts sitting around I found ones to work. zf5 is shorter obviously.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
there is about a 6" difference going from e4od to zf5. I had enough spare shafts sitting around I found ones to work. zf5 is shorter obviously.

brain fart...

My truck had a C6.

Long day, multiple broken electric crappy chainsaws and getting cut off by a kia soul which resulted in a large coke being spilled in my truck. Thank jeebas i can hose my truck out on the inside.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

should be ok... sell me the e4od?

swhs93

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and I'm not sure if I'm going to sell my e4od just cause I had it rebuilt about a year ago and hate to sell it after what I got in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online