A Breath of Fresh Air for Henry

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
This was on the to-do list anyway, and since I'm gathering the parts and pieces for the water injection system and this had to be done first, I went ahead and did it. The scoops were cheap and available now, I know some will not care for their style, but it's about function anyway and they seem to work well. Here are some photos of the process...

Bodywork and new paint are still somewhere over the horizon, I figure that functional improvements need to take precedence, so I just did the Duplicolor rattle can thing for the time being and look forward to the day when a real paint job can be justified..

Attachments

• GEDC0045.JPG
    GEDC0045.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 32
  • GEDC0047.JPG
    GEDC0047.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 28
  • GEDC0055.JPG
    GEDC0055.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 28
  • GEDC0065.JPG
    GEDC0065.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 30
  • GEDC0074.JPG
    GEDC0074.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 28
  • GEDC0096.JPG
    GEDC0096.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 31
  • GEDC0100.JPG
    GEDC0100.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 32
  • GEDC0114.JPG
    GEDC0114.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 32
  • GEDC0126.JPG
    GEDC0126.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 80
  • GEDC0120.JPG
    GEDC0120.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 72

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ram air, nice ;Sweet.

Not the biggest fan of the scoops but if they function ;Sweet. I guess you could always swap them out later. I've always worried about running ram air in the rain???

I guess it would be like a poor mans water injection? LOL

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey at least they function, unlike all the dorks that have nonfunctional scoops on everything...I hate those.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
how easy do those tubes line up with the hood when u close it, or do u have to guide them and it does down?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
As long as your air box has a water drain water is not a problem, i have ram-air, my scoop is in the grille i have drove in rain to were you couldnt see to drive and get home and pop the top on the air cleaner and there wont be nothing in there

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
@Crawler-
They are a bit of a pain- I didn't realize the air cleaner (engine?) was offset from the centerline of the truck, it made the one on the passenger side a pure-d ******** to make work, but it does. When you close the hood you have to bring it low as you can with you still under there and slip the hoses on the nipples- they stay in place though when you close it. The reinforced areas on the underside of the hood were the determining factor for the through hood fittings.

@GHunt-
Yeah, I have a hard time with the idea non-functional junk.

@FordGuy100-
Yeah, the cheese factor is high, but when balanced against the time & money to make a mold and then parts, I'm afraid convenience & price won this round. The rain thing had me worried until I took a closer look at it- the mesh at the entrance breaks up the droplet size, aluminum tubes both have reverse curves, down angle at circle to rectangle transition fitting on air cleaner leaves a small gap between body of air cleaner and transition for drainage of anything that make it that far, then the filter element itself will stop anything else.

@DYoung14-
Yes, it has a drain and it was checked to make sure it worked before I put everything back together!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
screw how it looks. how can oyu be into these trucks if looks is what you care about?? lol

I like it. though you lose the benefit of the "ram air" if you have places for rain to just run out.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
screw how it looks. how can oyu be into these trucks if looks is what you care about?? lol

I like it. though you lose the benefit of the "ram air" if you have places for rain to just run out.

Its a very effective intake design, i like it man good job! im sure henry likes it too;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well.....HOW DOES IT WORK?!?!

VERY creative thinking, and that's what it's all about!

If I did any amount of highway driving, or any driving at over 35 MPH I would DEFINITLY think about this, but with my driving being under 45 MPH, and on flat ground...I never need to worry about power, EGT's or even OD for that matter lol

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Thanks man, and yeah, I think Henry does like it... At around 50mph is where you can start to tell that something's a little different, We haven't been over 55 yet because of just going back and forth to work since the install on Sunday night, but this evening I'm taking the sandblaster out to my buddy's house and I'll get to see what 70 sounds/looks/feels like on the interstate.

OK, just got back, did the big bridge on I-295 and I have to say that I honestly had no idea how choked down that engine was. The extra air must have been just the thing that was needed. Base of the bridge 55mph, top of bridge 72mph and still accelerating (hydrogen currently un-installed for upgrades). It's just a hair over a mile from the base to the top in the direction I was coming from tonight.

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Per Ford training, ram air does not work until you reach approximately 50 mph. Of course, this depends on a lot of things. I bet at 70 though, you can actually feel a difference.

SWS

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Yes, at about 53-54 you definitely can feel a difference, it's like I gained some extra pedal and/or horsepower. From 55 to 75 it feels like a new engine, amazing... Now to learn to keep my foot out of it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give you a lot of credit for trying it. I have a hood you can have if it doesn't work out. Sounds like it's been of benefit to you though. Question... how do you make sure the underhood hoses are connecting to your connector rings? And is there a chance your loosing "boost" with those connections?

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
@Agnem- I suppose there is a chance of that happening, but I get the impression just from the fit, angle of the alum. tube and side loading of same that it's doubtful they will be moving. The hood has been up four times since the install and they have been well seated each time, that's not to say though that it couldn't happen. However, I'm not totally happy with the method of connection and really like the way Darrin Tosh did Big Ed's. I'm looking at something somewhat similar that will nest/seat by itself when the hood closes.

@Bikepilot- Thank you very much, but as I told Mel, I see room for improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online