steering column

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
so i have had it with my steering column and need a new one. the ignition is broken and only operates the steering wheel lock. i have to push a rod on top of the column to turn it on then push a button to crank and now my blinkers wont lock in place. waitin on a ticket because nobody will inspect the truck because of these probs. so what year model fords used the tilt steering setup with the round column like what is on my 91. think i'm fixin to go hunting in the junkyards.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sounds like a column in need of an ignition actuator and a new turn signal switch.

Sounds like the one you have it still salvageable tho.

87-91 will be the years that you're looking fo if ya go that route.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the one i have is salvageable i know. you are right on the turn signals(already checked that) but idk what the piece that broke on the ignition is called. it is a little elbow 90 that connects the linkage from the key to the rod on top of the column that i push to turn power on. ford said that they do not make any of those little 90's so i figured easiest route is a new column

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered all that stuff last year, it shouldnt be obsolete yet. And no I didnt keep the numbers, sorry.

I am guessing you are in texas? Call bob utter ford and have them email or fax you a breakdown of the column and circle all the pieces, then call the same guy back and go over the list with him, way easier than trying to explain to some parts idiot that drives a ricer.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I ordered all that stuff last year, it shouldnt be obsolete yet. And no I didnt keep the numbers, sorry.

I am guessing you are in texas? Call bob utter ford and have them email or fax you a breakdown of the column and circle all the pieces, then call the same guy back and go over the list with him, way easier than trying to explain to some parts idiot that drives a ricer.

or you could look the parts up online once you have the part numbers. its not by chance the cheep cast piece that broke on you is it? common problem, even if you pull one from a yard there is a good chance it will need gone through. i know doublesdiesel on here has rebuilt some and could probubly help if needed.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below is that "actuator" piece and the Ford part #E9TZ-3E715-B I haven't installed it yet.
Also I replace that turn signal disc...think it was $80 bucks...that was several years ago. the hardest part about installin the new turn signal disc was inserting all those little push-pins into it's connection block.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... That pos is really hard to install. Boy, if I had a Bridgeport mill I would be making those from something better than that pot metal like material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online