RDT into exhaust

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have the DP off I'm thinking about putting a RDT there. How long and what diameter hose will I need?
Would a check valve like ones used on race car crankcase evac system be needed?
I know some are running it in @ a 45* angle w/o check valve, Hows that working for those who have?
I know this topic comes up a lot so I tried to search it, but RDT is too comon.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Steve, I installed a venturi into the exhaust stream using a 1" diameter piece of black pipe. I cut the tip to a 45 degree angle and welded it into place. I stuck it in about 1.5" in into the 4" exhaust pipe.
Lemme warn ya. The perma grin ya get from the added turbo whistle will significantly decrease you fuel mileage.;Really

I've had no problems so far and wished I would have done it sooner.;Sweet

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you weld it straight into the pipe like a T or at a 45? I'm assuming the the angle on the end is facing downstream in the exhaust.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
So let me understand this correctly. You're plumbing the RDT into the exhaust without putting some sort of check valve in it? Can somone please do a tech article on this? My whole family are good welders and I personally along with my mom hate the smell of the RDT blow by.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
So did you weld it straight into the pipe like a T or at a 45? I'm assuming the the angle on the end is facing downstream in the exhaust.

Yes, I angled the pipe in at a 45 and then 45'ed the tip.;Sweet

No check vavle installed and while the truck is just idling there is just enough draw to pull the crankcase vapors out and all the way back.

Currently I installed a T into the system at a low point to allow any condensed vapors/oil dump out instead of entering the exhaust pipe. I've got a RDT filter/containment system designed just haven't had the time to get it installed.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the opening in the pipe is facing straight back into the pipe?
I wonder if putting it straight into the pipe like a T with a 45 on the end would create more of a venturi effect.
So I need 1" diameter hose? How long? Like 6 feet?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used this kit with a ford anti-backfire gasser check valve with 1 inch heater hose off the Banks adapter.
I can't remember if I've asked this before or not (my memory's about fried), but do you by chance have a part number for the check valve that you used? Did it thread directly onto the venturi fitting, or did you have to adapt it?

Thanks! I really need to get my exhaust hooked up... :angel:

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve, I installed a venturi into the exhaust stream using a 1" diameter piece of black pipe. I cut the tip to a 45 degree angle and welded it into place. I stuck it in about 1.5" in into the 4" exhaust pipe.
Lemme warn ya. The perma grin ya get from the added turbo whistle will significantly decrease you fuel mileage.;Really

I've had no problems so far and wished I would have done it sooner.;Sweet

How does an RTD add to the turbo whistle?

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I can't remember if I've asked this before or not (my memory's about fried), but do you by chance have a part number for the check valve that you used? Did it thread directly onto the venturi fitting, or did you have to adapt it?

Thanks! I really need to get my exhaust hooked up... :angel:

I'll look and see if I can find a number, They were left over from my mechanic days. I think I needed a 1/2'' coupling to screw them together.

Mike:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike...I know I've asked you countless questions about your setup (mainly because I'm basically planning mine to be essentially identical to yours), so thanks for your patience!! ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be forwarned, that there are different ways that you can do this, and the key difference is that Ron's method allows for the venturi to draw air from either the crankcase, or atmosphere. This is an important difference!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Be forwarned, that there are different ways that you can do this, and the key difference is that Ron's method allows for the venturi to draw air from either the crankcase, or atmosphere. This is an important difference!

Yeppers. That way I'm not hurting anything in the event there may be a back fire. Plus I don't have to worry about the venturi system drawing too much vaccum on the motor imploding the seals.:eek:

As far as the added whistle, the only thing I can even remotly think of as a cause is the exhaust flowing over the tip of the venturi, kinda like blowing across the top of a pop bottle.:dunno

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a diagram or sketch of this with the "t"?