I cannot catch a break

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was heading toward a big step of putting my engine in and after a while of fighting with the trans, I realize that I have a bigger problem than getting the crossmember out of the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's hard to see but there's a crack here.

See how the two bits on either side of center are hooved up?

Pretty sure there are cracks on both sides of that. Looks like it started to rust and it bulged it. I flaked the rust off the bottom with a screwdriver from the trans mount.

So what are my options?

Since it's already 4x4 can I just swap rear case halves without doing a bunch of work to the internals?

Am I just screwed and looking for another trans?

Any thoughts on what repairing it might cost? God knows I wouldn't attempt it. I don't have anyone I trust well enough to go at it. This engine is going to be healthy enough I don't want to half ass this.

[emoji20]

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, mine has only had 1 bolt in it for many years. If that helps. It hadn't had an easy life

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Very common for those ears to get broken. Terrible design. I'm sure many "I did this to fix mine" posts are on the way

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Very common for those ears to get broken. Terrible design. I'm sure many "I did this to fix mine" posts are on the way
What he said. Very common. But it's usually from a bad engine mount.

All of the trans innards are attached to the rear case half. So it's not as simple as just swapping them. Would really need to recheck bearing preload if you do that.

Honestly I would weld it up. Then weld on a plate for reinforcement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say plug the tcase open end...really well....sandblast it the broken area and take to shop specializing in AL welding....have it TIG welded profesionally.

I slipped whem moving my ZF and broke off one half of the slave ear right off trans...took and di as much prep as I felt I should...clean ...bevel etc...took to good shop...20 bucks welded...held up and ztill in use now.

JM7.3CW Eh!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New case halves can be had. Not cheap but can be had. I don't know who I would trust to take it to locally.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have one. My buddy has a tig. He's going to look at it but he's no professional.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that for the crossmemeber mount? I don't have a 4wd Trans but by looking at it, you could grind the ears down, cut 2 pieces of 1/4" steel and cut a slot in to allow it to slide in place and sandwich the casing rib. The drill and weld nuts or through bolt it to the Trans mount.

I cover both pieces of steel in jb weld before clamping so it'll fit any imperfections and make it a super strong clamped piece

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online