Valve lifter recommendations

Ford F834

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone here know the original manufacturer of the valve lifters? Or alternately have a brand to recommend? I have heard a few horror stories of aftermarket lifters that resulted in bent push rods. My engine ran out of oil because of a broken oil gauge feed tube. The lifters collapsed and it made some horrific noises. They rebounded but it wasn't quite the same after that. I am doing a comprehensive engine build and want new ones. I have been told to just take them apart and inspect them for any wear or breakage, but I'm not very comfortable with that..... shoulda heard the noise when they rebounded. :eek:

So... I ordered a set on eBay. I think the ad said Sealed Power/Federal Mogul. I didn't open the package right away (stupid) and when I did there was absolutely no box or packaging or brand identification whatsoever. Some of the rollers seem to have little rough or catchy spots in the rolling action. Maybe with oil and break in they might be fine, or a might have been had by a bait and switch scam. Not really wanting to find out the hard way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad ebay buy but.. What you expected from ebay usualy is not going to happen.
Hers the best idea with our lifters. Most any Ford or Chevy diesel uses the same lifter. So broden your search if ebay is where you want to buy from. Now realize our engine can run 2 completely different type roller lifter. The most widely used is the needle bearing roller lifter. The other is the bushing roller lifter. Not many will run the bushing type roller lifter. The bushing roller lifters usually are the cheaper type on ebay so ask before you buy. Also ask if they come in the makers box so you can be sure of what you got.
From what you described.. Your engine ran out of oil and you shut it down. Now once the oil level is correct you have a noise you think is the lifters. So you have not opened the engine yet??/ My guess is the rods and mains got wiped and thats the noise you may be hearing. The crank gets oil before any other part of the engine gets oil. So it ran out of oil first.

Ford F834

Reaction score
Thanks. I did not realize they came with different bearing types. My eBay set are needle bearing rollers, but that's not here nor there if the quality and workmanship are not up to par. I bought those a long time ago at a time when my goals were just to repair the damage and freshen things up a bit. I have since learned a lot about my truck and the scope of my project has changed. I am putting quite a bit of money into this build and I am not about to go cheap on the valve train. Perhaps I should see if the Ford dealership still carries them, or order ONE through Autozone and check the quality before ordering the rest. Their website says their lifters are Melling brand and cost $17 a piece. That is a pretty reputable brand name, but so is Sealed Power (if that is what I got).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All chevy 6.2 & 6.5 diesel engines use the same lifter as we do. So does the Hummer diesel engine. I believe the power strokes up to 2003 also use what we do. Then there is the older 5.7 gm diesel and I recall it uses the same lifter. Ford is going to charge you way more than anyone should have to pay for a set of lifters. You might pm contact typ4 and ask him what lifters he recommends. He has the corner on cams and lifters along with turbo upgrades. He is a VERY HONEST PERSON. You will not be unhappy dealing with him.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Submerge your new lifters in diesel and spin the roller by hand, they may free up, assy lube gets sticky with time sitting. You may be fine.

Ford F834

Reaction score
Submerge your new lifters in diesel and spin the roller by hand, they may free up, assy lube gets sticky with time sitting. You may be fine.

Thanks. I will definitely give that a try and see if they smooth out. They were not the most expensive lifters but they were not cheap either.