Timing covers?

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need a new one for my 7.3 turbo motor. Are the timing covers all the same throughout the years? 6.9-7.3? I changed my water pump and found mine looking like Swiss cheese. I barely touched it with a screwdriver and it went straight through. I tried to patch it with the welder but no matter what I did it blew through. I don't think I can buy one new either. Thanks.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir that is the one of them that I was looking at. It doesnt say its for a turbo motor that is the only reason i was asking?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the one I took off. I don't know of any significant block changes. Heads interchange between them all, can't see the timing cover being any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
timing gear covers are the same....
for turbo and non turbo.
TDC is gonna be the same regardless

think the only diff inbetween a turbo and a non turbo is going to be a higher volume IP, better injectors, the piston wrist pins, location of the CDR,
and the routing of the exhaust.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be wondering why this happened in the first place, before just slapping another one in. Can't help but raise the specter of cavitation.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Any idi be it 6.9 or 7.3 will use the same cover plate. These engines use most if not all the same internals too between the 6.9 and 7.3. Only the turbo pistons and rods are different but.. If you can find the large wrist pin pistons for the 6.9 you can use the turbo rods in that engine too. You might want to start running coolant to stop the erosion issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online