could this be anything but the transfer case??

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so on the truck in my sig. was hauling along on the interstate. had probably been driving a half hour at 75-80mph. started slowing down, took an exit ramp, downshifted out of od into 4th, slowed down more, downshifted into 3rd, heard a bit of a crunch. not loud.

I now have no gears. no forward, any gear. no reverse. I can shift trans no problem but when I let out clutch, nada. tried shifting tcase to 4hi and 4lo etc., nothin. the clutch seems to be working properly. I can hear rotational noises when I let it out in gear. engine idles fine, no odd noises.

can this be anything but the transfer case?

edit: I did try shifting into 4hi and locking in the front hubs. Still nothing.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the drain plug on the transfer case. If it has very little oil in it, or what it has is very dark with metal in it, that would be another verification of your suspicions. A common problem I see with these transfer cases are oil leaks. And after the oil gets low it's not long before they go out.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so as I was letting out the clutch after shifting into 3rd is when it happened. does it sound right? I mean you can't hear any crunching or any noise at all now when you try to move. what is it inside that would fail? I guess whatever connects the input and output shaft when you're in 2hi...

haven't had time to pull the plug on it. got a buddy of mine looking for a salvage one. we'll see what happens

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like pp quit!!?
If a gearbox broke you would expect grinding sounds,,, unless ya spit a chain in the t.case
Hmm watching this !

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like pp quit!!?
If a gearbox broke you would expect grinding sounds,,, unless ya spit a chain in the t.case
Hmm watching this !

what is this "pp" of which u speak?

yeah kinda what I thought regarding the noise...also why would it fail when not under power??

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard about several episodes where the transfer gets low on oil, gets hot, and melts some plastic pieces on the shifter mechanism inside the case. Then it won't stay in gear. This doesn't sound like what happened to you though.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I shifted it it felt like it always has....kinda gotta hold your tongue just right to shift.

and if it was a chain breaking I still should have power out the back, right?

local mech quoted 8-900 to rebuild mine fwiw

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
REBUILD? Pull one from a junkyard.
Then rebuild yours yourself. That price is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
REBUILD? Pull one from a junkyard.
Then rebuild yours yourself. That price is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

i think he's talking about the trans reman price there,not the t-case.

loggin350

Reaction score
I had my transfer case (BW 1356) fail in the exact same way, with downshifting on an exit ramp. The tail shaft housing where the driveshaft slides into the tcase cracked at the connection to the main body of the tcase and leaked out all my fluid. I had been on the highway for about three hours, so plenty of time to get way too hot with no fluid. I coasted into a gas station where I discovered the problem. Same symptoms you are describing, and I got a known working one from a junk yard and problem solved. It ended up throwing the chain which in turn grenaded the rest of the case internals. Hope this helps, breaking down is never fun but finding out the problem quickly is always a relief, at least for me.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. that's what he said for a tcase overhaul.

downtime is the biggest thing right now. hope I can find a salvage unit and slap it in.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh wow that is steep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-Borg-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item462cc50f88&vxp=mtr

i just grabbed one locally this summer from a yard $150
a little while latter i drained the fluid to inspect it (pump failures are common) and the new atf was burnt already.no problem he said,come back and grab another one,just bring the bad one back with ya.no charge.this ones good but i see the main gasket is leaking (the big one where the two halfs meet.) i need to replace it.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
So this is a 1356 case? I always ran 208 cases and when they failed it was typically chain or front output failure. I've abused them pretty hard and never lost rear direct output. Have had 'em groan a bit in granny pulling a load from a stop but that's it. 1356 I know has an issue with the pump coming loose from the case and failing to pump, not sure how that failure ends up though. There is a fix documented somewhere to prevent pump failure. You sure it's not a clutch issue? Still odd to have a failure downshifting to 3rd, unless maybe you shock loaded it hard or something. Could also be a broken input shaft, but I'd expect that to fail on an aggressive upshift.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes a bw1356.

well if it was the clutch, I wouldn't be able to get the trans in gear with the engine running.

seems to me like its about gotta be the tcase.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my transfer case (BW 1356) fail in the exact same way, with downshifting on an exit ramp. The tail shaft housing where the driveshaft slides into the tcase cracked at the connection to the main body of the tcase and leaked out all my fluid. I had been on the highway for about three hours, so plenty of time to get way too hot with no fluid. I coasted into a gas station where I discovered the problem. Same symptoms you are describing, and I got a known working one from a junk yard and problem solved. It ended up throwing the chain which in turn grenaded the rest of the case internals. Hope this helps, breaking down is never fun but finding out the problem quickly is always a relief, at least for me.

thanks. this helps me a lot. I will hopefully be able to find one after turkey day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online