Would you change these??

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the knuckles off my 60 tonight. The lowers are probably getting changed by virtue of the beating it took to get them off. The grease seal is a little messed up on the drivers side so it's probably getting changed out. The question really is about the uppers.
Here is what they look like.

You must be registered for see images attach

They have some pitting on them but I have no experience with king pins. Is that enough to warrant the hassle of changing them? I can see a large impact gun and a 5 ft torque multiplier in my future if that's the case. I was planing on putting new bushings in while I had it apart but not much else. Now I'm wondering if a full rebuild is warranted. One lower was missing the grease fitting...literally. Don't know where it is. Just gone.

Thanks!

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your already that far into it, might as well.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I would. They'll likely chew up the bushings. Any truck I get eventually gets it all done because I've had enough trouble in the past doing the same work several times because I cheaped out.

They come out real easy if you take a cutoff wheel and slice just above the base. Cut all the way around about to the threaded part. It relieves the torque and they zip right out. Without doing that good luck, you'd need a lot of leverage and will probably break a few tools along the way. I have the hex socket for my impact, won't budge without slicing them first but after the cut they come right out. I forget the torque they take but it's like 600-700 ft/lbs or something ridiculous.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/556811-dana-60-kingpin-removal-easy-way.html

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea. 600-800 ft lbs. it's a lot. Guess I'll be making another torque multiplier.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built one to do the pinion nut.

This one will be the same idea, just heavier tubing. It's been done different ways before. I took 1" square tube, drilled 5/8" holes 24" on center then cut an impact extension in half, welded one piece in in one end and the other in the other to accept the socket and torque wrench. The formula you use is the same as the one for using a crows foot, just work it backwards and solve for the length you need. At 24" and the 20" of my craftsman clicker, I get 116 on the wrench for 255 I think at the nut. I figured the other day that I would need 5 ft of bar for the king pins.

Now, next question. The inner axle seals. Are they two pieces or did I just destroy it? The seal part seems to have come out but the guide part stayed behind. Will the new spicer parts be two pieces or do I need to get those out?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, i had pictures of a homemade real torque multiplier in my head, you had me excited lol

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, next question. The inner axle seals. Are they two pieces or did I just destroy it? The seal part seems to have come out but the guide part stayed behind. Will the new spicer parts be two pieces or do I need to get those out?

The guided seals will come out in two pieces if you use the pry bar method ( like I do), just stick your 24" pry bar back in there and nudge the guides out.