Got my hydroboost parts yesterday!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vacuum booster on my F350 is dieing, so I thought rather than replace it, I would go Hydroboost. The salvage yards around here are few and far between, plus it is hard to make time to go search in them, so I just ordered the parts. RockAuto does well! Now I need some warm weather to install it. I purchased the ps pump reservoir with the two return tubes and am going to install that on my pump. Does anybody have any helpful advice on doing the reservoir install? Any tricks or cautions? Does the pulley have to be removed from the pump, or can everything be disassembled from the back? Thanks for any thoughts you might have! Todd

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
Things are kind of tight when you replace that reservoir. I barely had enough throw, turning arc, on the wrenches. I did not need to remove the belt on the front of the pump, but I did not repkace those cooling tubes either. That may make a difference. I did, however, have to remove the splash shield in the wheel well. I went in over the top of the tire for one of the high pressure lines. Also, you must remove the fitting on the side of the pump which a high pressure line goes into. I'm sure you'll figure that one out when the time comes. Be sure to use that new, large "O" ring for the reservoir.

Other than that, just be patient putting those new pressure line on. Threading them into the pump can be challenging, given their location. Once everything is in place, fill it with fluid, and turn the wheels lock to lock several times, then take it for a test drive. That system will be self-bleeding.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, Gandalf! I appreciate the helpful advice. I did not think it was possible to install the resevoir without removing the pump from the truck. I think I may remove it anyway just to make installing the reservoir easier on me!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd advise new O rings for the Hi pressure port where the lines go into the pump. and a NEW pump body O ring as well.

Removing the reservoir is mess, drain it as best you can, have a long piece of scrap hose that fits the return nipple, long enough to hang to a bucket or container on the ground, slip the return line off...then quickly slip it on...drain it!

To remove the can/reservoir remove the HI pressure line from the large 1" (IIRC) fitting on the pump, then remove that large fitting carefull you will have some small parts want to come out and they are spring loaded, a pressure release valve or something. set them aside in a safe place!

Now you can begin to twist back and forth the reservoir and work it off the pump body. Once past the O ring it's a easy pull. Remove O ring and replace with new one, lube O ring prior to install and very light lube on inside new reservoir. Simply slide new part in place carefull not to eff new O ring. Re assemble the small spring and part and place in pump, then install new O rings on the large fitting and install it too.

BTW, NOW ....NOW is the perfect time to install some type of filter in the system ...Like here
http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Power-Steering-Filter-R038M-P.htm

In for the penny in for the pound...right?

Anyway it's all quite simple remove and replace at this point, I'd jack up and block front end on drivers side, remove front wheel to make access a tad more simple from fender well too btw.

Good luck on install it's not all that hard.

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Removing the pump from the truck is the easy way to replace the parts but... Your goning to need a pulley puller to get the pulley off the shaft. Do not try using a gear puller on the outside of the pulley. That will bend it and ruin it. Most auto parts will rent the tools.. Nice looking gear you have too. Once you drive the truck its a feeling like no other when it comes to braking. Most members that have done this swap complain asking why they didn't do it earlier.. Its that way sometimes...

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al and Gary - thanks for the replies.

Al - I appreciate the instructions - that helps a lot. I hadn't thought about the filter, and that is an excellent idea. Oil, coolant, trans all gets filtered - why should ps be any different. Which line would you suggest installing the filter into?

Gary, I purchased the hoses from RockAuto and they were about $13 each. The Ford MC I bought from a Ford parts dealer on Ebay $233 shipped, which was slightly cheaper than RockAuto. The ps reservoir I purchased from another Ford parts dealer on Ebay and that was about $35 shipped. So, if you factor in the cost of your time to track down salvage yard parts, that may or may not be in good shape, the cost of these new, quality parts seems to be a decent deal. Factor in the money I would have spent on a replacement vacuum booster too (which would not have improved the braking situation) and this upgrade looks even better. Can't wait to get this all installed, but it has to warm up some first!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tbrumm....

now I can only speak for myself here right....not anyone else, so based on that if this was my install and I was doing a fresh install, I'd most likely install that filter in the Hyrdro boost return line. This one is simplest to access to remove and clean filter. Maybe some type of Adel Clamp or something like that holding it in a good location.

Like in this photo
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&sourc...AYBR1gk3WYhN8wqZNdXRNkww&ust=1363546295810128

Or this one

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/54746/4806b337b72d4_54746n.jpg

If you tried doing the other return line from power steering box, it's under the reservoir and much more difficult to access let alone be able to setup some kind a nice fabbed bracket

That's just my personal opinion you may have one that differs....

Good luck

Al

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a pm from another member asking for a picture of the MC side of the booster. I plan on using my original mc with this booster. Any problems with that? Other than maybe having to enlarge the mc mounting holes a little bit? Will the push rod shown in the booster work with my non-hydroboost mc? Thanks again guys! Todd
You must be registered for see images attach

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
$300 bucks for a NEW hydroboost system, seems like a home run to me.

I am way overdue with this upgrade. I know how much better it is and still put it off.:rolleyes: