Piston Cooling Jet Installer & Target

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I start building up my block, I need to install one jet and aim all 8. Does anyone have a source for these? Here's the Ford Rotunda part info:

14-0307 Piston Cooling Jet Installer

14-0311 Cooling Jet Tube Target

I could probably fab up what's needed. But if it's available somewhere, it'd sure be easier!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but the target tool (and I think the installer) is no longer available. I tried to get one 2 years ago but was told they were not making them anymore. I made an installer tool and eyeballed the targeting from pictures I took before removing them. Those later bolt in jets were looking pretty good but the early blocks would not retrofit.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Before I start building up my block, I need to install one jet and aim all 8. Does anyone have a source for these? Here's the Ford Rotunda part info:

14-0307 Piston Cooling Jet Installer

14-0311 Cooling Jet Tube Target

I could probably fab up what's needed. But if it's available somewhere, it'd sure be easier!

I hate to say it but I think I'm the only one on here that has those tools. I need to get with freebird about making up the templates.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but the target tool (and I think the installer) is no longer available. I tried to get one 2 years ago but was told they were not making them anymore. I made an installer tool and eyeballed the targeting from pictures I took before removing them. Those later bolt in jets were looking pretty good but the early blocks would not retrofit.

You got it! I've been searching eBay and CL for several weeks and there's nothing out there. :frustrate I was hoping someone might have an OTC cross reference. Somebody had to build them for Ford. Like you, I could sorta/kinda build a target template based on the illustration in the Ford shop manual. Problem is - it won't be exact. :dunno Since the whole point of this project is to build something that will go another 30 years, I really want it to be right!

And the two-piece installation tool.... That's gonna take some thought. Monday, I'll give Deep South a call. They were the folks I talked to concerning valve spring height and how much metal can be removed from the spring seat. Since they (used to) do a lot of these motors, maybe they still have the tools laying around.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I think I'm the only one on here that has those tools. I need to get with freebird about making up the templates.

Gotta tell ya, if this is soon-to-be project, I'd sure be interested. Right now, I'm cleaning out bolt holes, polishing lifter bores and just some general cleaning. Doing the simple stuff while I finish up king pins and the hydro-boost install. Actual drop stuff in and bolt it down is still a couple of weeks away. The great thing about your templates is that they would be exact!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
You got it! I've been searching eBay and CL for several weeks and there's nothing out there. :frustrate I was hoping someone might have an OTC cross reference. Somebody had to build them for Ford. Like you, I could sorta/kinda build a target template based on the illustration in the Ford shop manual. Problem is - it won't be exact. :dunno Since the whole point of this project is to build something that will go another 30 years, I really want it to be right!

And the two-piece installation tool.... That's gonna take some thought. Monday, I'll give Deep South a call. They were the folks I talked to concerning valve spring height and how much metal can be removed from the spring seat. Since they (used to) do a lot of these motors, maybe they still have the tools laying around.

Dave I do have both the cooling jet installer and alignment plate and dowel, never been used.
a fellow Ford mechanic was cleaning out his IDI tool bins and knew I work on them and gave them to me!

Jason and I have talked about making the alignment plates and dowels in the past but haven't really got past the talk stage.
I wished you were closer so I could say to drag that block on over and I'd take care of that for ya, but yer a wee bit too far of a short drive.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wished you were closer so I could say to drag that block on over and I'd take care of that for ya, but yer a wee bit too far of a short drive.

Yeah, even by Texas standards, you're not real close. :D

Or as we would say, "He's not from around here." LOL

Thanks for the offer, I sure appreciate it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not check with a few Ford dealers to see if they might still have those tools.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not check with a few Ford dealers to see if they might still have those tools.
Sure worth a shot. I tried two dealerships fairly close; no luck. But there are others within 50 miles, so it's sure worth spending some time on the phone Monday. Might get lucky - find a dealership that sees no more need for them and is willing to sell them. ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Sorry Jason. Got sidetracked by a 94 Plymouth Acclaim with a bad head gasket with a stomach turning smell and mice running out of it all night!!!:puke:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why a cup plug couldn't be used in place of the expansion plug? If I had the size of that tool, I have a neighbor that has a tool shop and was a toolmaker at Ford LEP. Darryl is retired and does it more or less as a hobby. I'll check the Ford dealer here.

Disregard, posted this in the wrong thread.:eek:

Last edited: