Hydroboost questions

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, lets see if it works this time.

The truck needs a new brake booster and M/C, so I'm thinking about putting a hydroboost in. I've heard a lot about them on here, but I've never really done much research on them. What all parts do I need? Where can I get the parts at (New/Used)? How much $$ should I expect to fork out for the parts? How long should it take to do the install?

Thanks,
Mark

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scrounged all of the parts from a wrecking yard for $85. Then a second trip and another $20 for the brake pedal. Wasn't looking specifically for the hydro conversion at the time, and got a screaming deal on the parts. F450's don't show up in wrecking yards too often around here.

You need the hydroboost booster itself, the plastic reservoir off of the power steering pump (I just took the whole power steering pump), and the 2 pressure lines.
Pressure lines run from the power steering pump to the booster, then from the booster down to the steering box. Both the booster and steering box have return lines going back to the power steering pump. The truck I stole the hydroboost off had 3/8" or 5/16" fuel line as a return from the booster to the power steering pump.

From what I remember about the 92-97 trucks, the brake pedal is the same between hydro and non-hydro trucks.

Not sure if your existing master cylinder has the correct bolt spacing to bolt up to the new hydro booster; I would look into using the hydro master cylinder - it was going to be a pain to switch the MC on my older truck, so I used the stock cast iron one.

It took me about 5 hours to do the swap. This included pulling the power steering pump clear out of the truck - others have changed the reservoir while leaving the PSP in place. I also had to remove the steering column and pedals to change out the brake pedal.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, lets see if it works this time.

The truck needs a new brake booster and M/C, so I'm thinking about putting a hydroboost in. I've heard a lot about them on here, but I've never really done much research on them. What all parts do I need? Where can I get the parts at (New/Used)? How much $$ should I expect to fork out for the parts? How long should it take to do the install?

Thanks,
Mark

the parts i used for my conversion on my '93 f250HD (same exact stock brake system of the f350)

E5LY-3A697-A RESERVOIR ASY - to bolt onto my power steering pump.
E8TZ-2005-B BOOSTER ASY - the hydroboost unit.
Edelmann 71416 Power Steering Pressure Hose - HYDROBOOST TO GEAR.
Edelmann 71442 Power Steering Pressure Hose - PUMP TO HYDROBOOST.
Goodyear SAEJ189 Power Steering Hose - for return.
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF - you can use dino if you prefer of course.the F-superduty hydroboost unit calls for MERCON ATF (and as we know ford revised MERCON V in 2006 to meet old MERCON standards.) so either MERCON or MERCON V is fine to use here.just as this info applies to the E40D transmission,it applies to this hydroboost unit.)

fordpartsgiant.com:

E5LY-3A697-A RESERVOIR ASY 1 26.42 26.42
E8TZ-2005-B BOOSTER ASY - BRAKE 1 290.43 290.43

Subtotal

$316.85
Tax

$36.00
Special Shipping Cost

total:
$352.85

amazon:
Edelmann 71416 Power Steering Pressure Hose
Price: $20.03 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
Edelmann 71442 Power Steering Pressure Hose
Price: $24.36 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

grand total of $397.24

then i added;
Hayden Power Steering Cooler #1009
Magnefine 3/8" Inline Magnetic Transmission/Power Steering Filter

and i bought the super duty vacuum e-pump so i can ditch the stock and free up a little more load.im a bit of a hypermiller.:D
but haven't gotten around to that yet.

install time took about 4 hours.
dificulty rating 1-10 (with 10 being the highest,and a 10 being changing ball joints on 4wd truck) it's about a 3.very easy and fun to do.

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I had a very difficult time with the install but it works well now. I would highly recommend using the SUPERDUTY Master cylinder. You will need the MC pushrod that is specific to the hydro boost system. You can only get them (that I know of) from an F-superduty or make your own. I'm thinking about making them and selling them here as I have come across a large stock pile of raw material.

Make sure the rest of the brake system is up to par. That extra 1000 psi of line pressure can and will find any weak spots. I would highly recomend getting new rubber lines. Mine were old and on the first real test drive the calipers caught fire and had to get it towed home. I have figured the hoses deteriorated and held pressure to the calipers.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
replace your rubber hoses and any old calipers / wheel cylinders for sure. On my first test drive I went on a loop and on the corner near my house I nailed the brakes and teh one caliper I hadn't replaced yet, pissed fluid out all over the road and the pedal went to the floor. Thank goodness for the low range on the tranny so I could crawl it down the hill into the house with no brakes :eek:

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the Hydro-boost only on F450's (F-SuperDuty)? I would like to do the conversion someday. If I run across the parts someday I will have to snag them. Good info on the parts FORDF250HDXLT.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace your rubber hoses and any old calipers / wheel cylinders for sure. On my first test drive I went on a loop and on the corner near my house I nailed the brakes and teh one caliper I hadn't replaced yet, pissed fluid out all over the road and the pedal went to the floor. Thank goodness for the low range on the tranny so I could crawl it down the hill into the house with no brakes :eek:

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up! This will certainly put a dent in the plans....

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the parts i used for my conversion on my '93 f250HD (same exact stock brake system of the f350)

E5LY-3A697-A RESERVOIR ASY - to bolt onto my power steering pump.
E8TZ-2005-B BOOSTER ASY - the hydroboost unit.
Edelmann 71416 Power Steering Pressure Hose - HYDROBOOST TO GEAR.
Edelmann 71442 Power Steering Pressure Hose - PUMP TO HYDROBOOST.
Goodyear SAEJ189 Power Steering Hose - for return.
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF - you can use dino if you prefer of course.the F-superduty hydroboost unit calls for MERCON ATF (and as we know ford revised MERCON V in 2006 to meet old MERCON standards.) so either MERCON or MERCON V is fine to use here.just as this info applies to the E40D transmission,it applies to this hydroboost unit.)

fordpartsgiant.com:

E5LY-3A697-A RESERVOIR ASY 1 26.42 26.42
E8TZ-2005-B BOOSTER ASY - BRAKE 1 290.43 290.43

Subtotal

$316.85
Tax

$36.00
Special Shipping Cost

total:
$352.85

amazon:
Edelmann 71416 Power Steering Pressure Hose
Price: $20.03 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
Edelmann 71442 Power Steering Pressure Hose
Price: $24.36 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

grand total of $397.24

then i added;
Hayden Power Steering Cooler #1009
Magnefine 3/8" Inline Magnetic Transmission/Power Steering Filter

and i bought the super duty vacuum e-pump so i can ditch the stock and free up a little more load.im a bit of a hypermiller.:D
but haven't gotten around to that yet.

install time took about 4 hours.
dificulty rating 1-10 (with 10 being the highest,and a 10 being changing ball joints on 4wd truck) it's about a 3.very easy and fun to do.

Did it make a differece????????

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it make a differece????????

this is a true statement i like to make when asked:
swapping from a vacuum to hydro brake system, adds more stopping power, than a turbo kit adds hp to an n/a idi engine.
the difference is night and day.
100X safer for hauling heavy!;Sweet

i finally figured out my extreme firm brake pedal yesterday! i had the hydro rod installed to the pedal 180 off,or upside down.thank the maker i figured it out with the help of someone doing the same thing i did! she really feels nice now.