HOW TO: Adding a UV clear coat to protect your Headlights!

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Alright guys this kind of goes with my other Headlight restore how to but i didnt want everyone to scroll half way down to find this. So i will call this my 4th HOW TO :sly

After doing much research on cleaning, sanding, buffing headlights to a crystal clear finish i have come across a way to add the final touch to MAKE your headlights stay clear for time and time to come. With our pickups most have been around for 20+ years. Over these years the sun or UV light has done a number on the plastic headlight lens turning them yellow or very faded. Over the years the UV protect ant that is in the lens from the factory diminishes and no longer protects the lens from the sun hence the yellowing or fading. When you try to restore the lens by sanding them down and polishing them out you no longer have any way to protect them from the UV light and within a matter of months you are back to yellow and faded. Until TODAY! I will show you how to add a UV protectant coating over the lens. I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR COMING UP WITH THIS CONCOCTION. I AM MERELY RELAYING THE MESSAGE AND RESULTS I CAME UP WITH.

1) you will need 4 things found at my local HomeDepot
- Minwax helmsman spar urethane clear gloss - 15.78
- Odorless mineral spirits - 8.98
- The blue shop towels - 1.97
- mixing cup - .98
Total 29.75 OTD

You must be registered for see images attach

2) You will want to sand and remove all the yellowing to get the lens back to a clear state before adding the uv coat. Fallow my headlight restore how to. I did not use any final rubbing compounds as i didnt want them to react with the coat. Im sure you can polish/rub to get a nice clear lens but you HAVE to make sure you remove all the compound before the clear. I personally wouldn't use any polishing because the very fine scratches that are left behind from the sanding will give the clear something to grab onto. The clear fills all the fine fine scratches so they wont be seen anyway.

3) Mix your mineral spirits and clear urethane in a mixing cup to a 1:1 ratio (50/50) No matter how much you mix you will ALWAYS have enough to do over 100 headlights.

4) Once you have your lens in front of you and your mixing cup of clear take the blue shop towel and fold it into a nice little square.

5) Dip the towel into the clear and just wipe it on the lens. Dont push hard just drag it along the lens. Do the top, sides, The entire outside. You dont want to get too much as it will start to run. Honestly you will look at it and be like I WANT MORE..DONT just walk away. and let it dry. Im going to let mine sit for 24hrs.

6) Now look inside your mixing cup and be like DAM i can do another 100 headlights! LOL

7) Let it dry for about 24hrs. From what i was reading a guy has had it on for over 6 months now and they are still clear with no signs of yellowing.

Hope this helps everyone fight the nasty yellow headlights.
CHEERS;Sweet

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the step i have been missing. I have done mine with turtle wax, but the deep south sun fades them again within a month or so. Thanks for sharing.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
So far everything is drying perfect. It is already dry to the touch and its only been 8 hours. This is something you could even do without removing the headlight from your truck.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sweet! I needed this! The headlights on my eclipse fade after about two months of polishing. To buy new ones costs $375... each. Thanks man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle