Need downpipe gasket for 1st gen Banks

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get one? The one that came off with the turbo disintegrated. There were 2, actually, but I think if I ditch the heat shield for a blanket I should be able to get away with one. eBay so far has turned up a near miss - in Australia.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 hole T4 outlet gaskets seem to be widely available - any thoughts on drilling those for a 6 bolt mount?

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you called any heavy truck repair shops..alot of those were installed in schoolbus's and in dumptrucks here in the us...

I orded mine directly from banks and then a second time from schid diesel in indiana.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Banks about something else on that thing and it was made clear to me that they have neither the time nor inclination to support these, although others have had more encouraging results.

I'll give Scheid a call. I suspect there are plenty of places west of here, but around here nothing ever lasts that long, so nobody stocks anything. Thanks for the info.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran mine without the gasket. The way my downpipe was built, the pipe stuck out past the flange and went inside the exhaust housing, creating a mechanical seal. I never had any leaks.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran mine without the gasket. The way my downpipe was built, the pipe stuck out past the flange and went inside the exhaust housing, creating a mechanical seal. I never had any leaks.

during my install, I didn't have a gasket and thought I had read somewhere in the instructions that a gasket to the DP was not necessary. I can no longer find that statement in the instructions, may have been a figment of my imagination. Anyway I decided to run mine w/out a gasket. So far I've run it for a week and just took it apart last night. I didn't see any black on the flange to support any leakage issues. From how I see it, as long as you have free flowing exhaust, you shouldn't be building any pressure in the DP which (I think) is what forces exhaust to escape.

As long as the mating surface is clean and flush, I don't know if a gasket is even necessary. If the mating surface is slightly warped, you could look in to header gasket adhesive(don't know the name for it).

If you still have the original heat shield on there where two gaskets need to sandwich between the DP and turbo, I'm of no help.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the heat shield, but it's splitting apart and I got a fleabay turbo blanket. So the plan is to ditch the shield.

Unfortunately the exhaust is the wrong size, but that will be corrected soon. Looks like the 3" rotted out and was replaced with some stock diameter. But, OB WAN, you've given me the excuse I need to order up all that 3.5" pipe on my Summit wish list now rather than later.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, with all the other gaskets missing on that kit, I don't know why I'm worried about this one.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pulled my turbo off of a donor truck the gasket fell apart so I just made one out of new gasket material (the paper kind) I had laying around in the shop. I used the downpipe as a template for the outside diameter and hole locations then I used a compass to draw the inside diameter line. Then all I did was cut it out. It has worked great for 6 months with no leaks. And the gasket shows no signs of head wear at least from the little bit I can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online