Register to remove these ads

Thread: Oil Leak? on Cold Start

Thanks

Default Oil Leak? on Cold Start

My 97 dually had been parked for several days while I was attending a class. Had been really cold during the day and in the teens at night. Started her up when I got ready to leave and it puked oil out the drivers side of the engine somewhere. Didn't crawl under to look because only about a cup or two (looked like) ran out. After it had ran a few minutes it stopped. When I shut it down and started back up during the trip home it didn't happen. Only thing that changed is I plug the truck in at home to be easy on cold morning starts and it wasn't plugged in this time. I'm sure something is screwed but what is it?
    97 F350 Crew Cab 2WD, ZF five speed, 7.3 Stroke running WMO and reclaimed industrial oil, 3" downpipe, straight exhaust, more coming.

86 Mercedes 300SDL, all stock running same juice as the stroke and gettin' 33 MPG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmckee242 View Post
    Started her up when I got ready to leave and it puked oil out the drivers side of the engine somewhere. Didn't crawl under to look because only about a cup or two (looked like) ran out.
    oil cooler o-rings leaking?
    The only pony tailed grease driving left coast liberal at OB and proud of it.
    Without my $.02 you guys would be lost down a dead end road.
    1997 F-350 Powerstroke - PlantDrive VO Kit - 333K miles
    1984 Mercedes €uro 300D NA - Custom VO Two Tank - 166K miles
    Running on Veg Oil and Biodiesel since May '06

Quote Originally Posted by wreckerman893
    Just more positive proof that the intelligence is being bred out of the human race at an alarming rate.

This is why some people should be sterilized at birth.
    I can easily name a few!

Thanks

Could bad o-rings leak on a cold start-up. Plugged in at home it has never done that no matter how cold the outside temp is.
    97 F350 Crew Cab 2WD, ZF five speed, 7.3 Stroke running WMO and reclaimed industrial oil, 3" downpipe, straight exhaust, more coming.

86 Mercedes 300SDL, all stock running same juice as the stroke and gettin' 33 MPG

Full Access Member LUCKY_LARUE60's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep, oil cooler O-rings leaking, mine has done the cold leak for over a year unless the outside temp is above 25* or unless it is pluged in. Not a big job to change out the O-rings just messy.

Stringing pipe in Wyo

99 F350 Crew Cab 4X4 Dually Powerstroke 134,xxx fully loaded

No More IDIs
    GONE 92-XLT, ext cab, 7.3 IDI, 2WD, Dually. Well almost, My youngest son now owns it.

92 34' 5er by NUWA

When Reagan was President, we had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now that Obama is President, we have no Hope and no Cash...

"No Matter what direction you go just remember to keep moving forward"

Thanks

Looks like I'll be changing mine. Are these parts I need to get ahead of time or standard o-rings?

Thanks

You need to go to Ford and get them, I think there are 2 on each end.
    1996 F350 XLT 7.3 E4OD 172k miles 4.10 4x4 crew cab 315 pro comp on M/T classic locks, DIY intake
    1994 F250 XLT 7.3 na E4OD 117k miles 3.55 4x4 x-cab
    1994 F250 XL 7.3 factory turbo E4OD 4.10ls 4x4 x-cab
    1993 F250 XLT 7.3 ATS gated turbo zf5 3.55ls 4x4 x-cab
    1993 F250 XLT 7.3 na ZF5 249k miles 3.55 4x4
    1992 F250 XLT 7.3 na E4OD 357k miles 3.55 4x4
    1992 F350 XLT 7.3 na ZF5 4.10 6x6 crew cab ATS gated turbo

Frankentruck lover leftcoastjeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Another one, wow

Looks like this, I'm pressing the log into the rear header. You can see the other header in the background.
    2 orings on each end, Ford dealer will have them, if they don't, try another Ford dealer.

I can dig up the part#'s for the orings if needed.
    Got the gaskets from Napa.

This is one of those jobs...........probably 10 ways to do it.

LCjeff
    Otterbaysuits.com (we insulate almost anything)

Frankentruck, 88 XLT, 6.9 auto,4x4 ext. cab, long bed

DOA, Elk Truck '87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seperater/air inlet, with tommy gate

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Einstein

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.

Thanks

No need for the part numbers I'll call my buddy at the local dealership Monday. Got to thinkinking and that explains why that side of my engine appears wet but never drips that much. Got a few miles until my filter change on a first run of Auto Rx. Probably wait until I change the filter and get real messy. Thanks much. Read alot on hear but don't post that much but when I do you guys always give good advise.

Thanks

One more thing. Did some research now the question is do I raise the drivers side of the engine or not. I want to remove the entire assembly because I don't want to risk cracking the front cover.

Thanks

How much do the o-rings run and how big of a job is it to change them? My uncle's truck does the same thing but to the extreme. Pukes out about a quart every time you cold start it but then doesn't leak at all once it warms up. I topped off the oil after it warmed up this morning, drove it 1,400 miles today and didn't leak at all after it warmed up. Still full after the end of the trip. Stockbridge, MI to Lebanon, MO and back.
    Big John's the name, big horses are my game!

"Casper" 2004 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2L, 5 sp., 4 door (g/f DD )
    "Hoopty" 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis, 4.6 (My DD )
    "Little Chevy" 1992 Chevy K1500, Z71, 5.7L, 700R4, NP241 (Future 6.2 Diesel Rig )

Support the Constitution, support the NRA! http://membership.nrahq.org/