Front brake rotor removal?????

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brake rotors are warped. I have new ones. Do I have to remove the hub to get them off? The rotor disc looks like it's behind the hub. I have done many brake jobs in the past but never changed brake rotors on a 4X4. My truck has auto locking front hubs.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Randy

Bushhog

Reaction score
I'm not real sure on a 92 or if Ford made a change but on my 2000 I don't have to pull the hubs to change the rotors. I also have a dullie.

Any way after I pull the extention for the reverse wheels which is held on by 8 lug nuts the rotor can be knocked off with a hammer.

I think one way you might tell is by measuring the inside of the rotors you purchased and compare that to the hub outside measurement. Hope this helps.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Randy-

You do need to pull the hubs to get to the rotors. They are mounted on the back side of the hubs. It takes a special tool to get the hubs off (about 30-40 bucks at NAPA, for got the part number, but you may be able to get one at autozone or something on loan.) After you get the hubs off, Press the lug bolts out, switch the rotors, and press the lug bolts back in. Good luck, its a pain in the butt.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was afeeeered of that.
Turbo, If you are talking about the long, pronged socket kinda thing, I have that. I hope anyway, a friend gave it to me after I bought the truck and said it was for removing the front hub nuts.
I need to take a look at the bearings anyway. I am doing allot of work on it now so if I need new brgs. I'll just spend more $$. The rotors will have to waite now cause they called me to work today.

:thanks: guys.

Randy

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I helped Joe do this job back a while, and he found that it was just as cost effective to replace the whole front hub assembly on his 2X4 when buying the parts from Ford. The assembly even comes with the new races already in it.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will get to it next weekend. If the bearings and races need to be replaced then I will take the rotors back and get the hub assy..
If I would have known all this I would have gone ahead and got it. OOOwell, I'm still alearnin. I am going to get a Furd shop manual this week. My friend is a parts man at Furd and I can get a real good price on all OEM parts.:D :D :D If you need any thing from there, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Thanks

Randy

pafixitman

Reaction score
I bought rotors only from Autozone prior to getting our 5'r. After getting the 5'r I kept seeing "Made in China" on the rotors and had visions of brake failure w/ my family in the truck and the trailer in tow. I started pricing things out and found Ford sells the rotor complete w/ hub, studs, races. Comparing prices and figuring time to remove the old races and get the rotor off the hub, it just was not cost effective to do it in pieces.

I'm not made of money, but the fit of factory parts versus aftermarket is really convincing me to stick with factory. My kids do not have to see and hear Dad :***: :smash: trying to get those cheap import parts to fit.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will call my buddy at Furd and see what he can do. I just went to Oreilly thinking they would be cheaper. Me not got lot of money to.:Q

Thanks

Randy

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Originally posted by pafixitman

I'm not made of money, but the fit of factory parts versus aftermarket is really convincing me to stick with factory. My kids do not have to see and hear Dad :***: :smash: trying to get those cheap import parts to fit.

Amen to that. I keep wondering when I will learn. Many things aren’t much more money, and certain genuine parts can save you a lot of time. Thanks for the reminder. I'll just keep saying to myself, check the dealer, check the dealer, check the dealer. Hopefully I'll remember next time.