Squawking sound engine lock up?

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I say, what to do?
Give you a little history on this truck I've had it since probably 1999. Rebuilt the engine in 2008 may have put 2000 miles on it since then. I believe it's a 1987 with a 7.3 IDI converted to A T18 somewhere along the way. When I rebuilt the engine I didn't have the timing equipment so I did the best I could it ran OK got about 10 to 12 miles to gallon. So I left it like that for years I decided to parked the truck around 2014 just got busy with other things I had a couple other good trucks. So it's set for years. You can see post on here where I got it out of the weeds got it running but it smoked and didn't run very well.
So I bought a unit from diesel technology incorporated A DTI 3300 s so I could get the timing set properly
I started working on setting the timing went through all the regular stuff that everybody else does trying to get the timing figured out I think I'm getting close on that but I ran into another problem. I'm getting a severe squawking sound. This squawking sound is a long squark that makes me think the engine is freezing up it it definitely drags down when you hear the squawk it can even stop the engine if the RPM's get down below 700 RPM I would say estimated. I don't wanna race the engine up but at that 700 RPM there's only 10 lbs of oil pressure. I used a stethoscope it went all over the engine trying to find where the noise is coming from and I just have not been able to pinpoint it.
The noise is in time with the injection pump gear
I did notice the the harmonic balancer has got a slight wobble maybe 20 thousands could be more
you can't hear this noise just cranking the engine to start it. And yes it does do it if you've got the fuel injector 12v unplugged.
just wonder what y'all think.

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_123225419_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220815_123225419_HDR.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220815_123130190_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220815_123130190_HDR.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 4

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried rotating the engine with a ratchet to see if there is drag during the rotation. I wonder if one of the cylinders is rusted and your hearing that.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried rotating the engine with a ratchet to see if there is drag during the rotation. I wonder if one of the cylinders is rusted and your hearing that.
No I have not tried that. But I don't think it would be a rusty cylinder because I did have it running a couple times recently before I started trying to time it I didn't have noises like that. But I will give it a turn with the wrench tomorrow to see what kind of drag it has on it. I will pull the glow plugs and I can also check compression then. You got the sound right though it sounds like a rusty cylinder.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes me suspect the injector pump. Try using the stethoscope on the IP and see what that gives you.
I’ve had an injection pump make weird noises and do strange things before, you could be into something here…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Only time ive heard squaking from an injection pump is when I used too long of bolt in the water pump upper bolts. Made a nice clean groove in the gear. Also took out the pump lol.

Doubt that's your issue, as what I did blew out the pump in about 30 seconds of running.

Perhaps its a belt? Take all your belts off. Mind you, don't run long without the water pump running.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I have not tried that. But I don't think it would be a rusty cylinder because I did have it running a couple times recently before I started trying to time it I didn't have noises like that. But I will give it a turn with the wrench tomorrow to see what kind of drag it has on it. I will pull the glow plugs and I can also check compression then. You got the sound right though it sounds like a rusty cylinder.

I’ve had an injection pump make weird noises and do strange things before, you could be into something here…
I turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet it turned hard all the time whether it's too hard or not I don't know but I could only turn it a couple inches at a time. It did not seem to have a place that more drag then the other. Although I did not remove the glow plugs yet.

KansasIDI the noise is the loudest if I stick the scope in the top of the oil fill tube this engine has an oil fill tube on top of the injection pump timing gear. The pump is getting fuel to all of the cylinders. I wonder is there a way to check the pump without removing it

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low Oil Pressure + Extra rotating resistance + Squawking noise. Sounds like a bearing problem to me. Pull the oil filter, cut it open and look at the element, if it is glittery like your favorite drag queens cheeks, time for a rebuild....

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm sure you're right about the bearing but as far as the drag queen I have no favorite I have no least favorite. And I believe it is foundational to the death of this nation.