Showerhead filter alternative?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check here?

Goat

12pilgrim

Reaction score
Years ago when BOTH my shower heads broke off, I dropped both tanks (thankfully very clean inside) cleaned the outside and brushed-on gray rustoleum (looked pretty!)
Then ran fuel rated hoes on the inside with maybe stiff tubing inside to keep it rigid and just an 1/8" or so off the bottom of each tank... BUT... instead of using a filter on the 'inside of the tanks' I simply plumbed-in two exterior inline clear canister diesel rated WIX fuel filters on the outside of the tanks... works like a charm!
I changed them last year and you could see the little bit of debris that was caught in the filter and not permitted to pass through to the mechanical lift pump.
Unfortunate, my sending units have taken a crap and I'm not about to drop those tanks again... but I also don't believe aftermarket senders are available for my 1988 F250 SuperCab.
Check these out!

87-89 Front tank sending unit:

87-89 Rear tank sending unit:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link I posted and the E-Bay Senders are probably all made in the
same Chicom assembly line.

If you are going to keep your IDI for the long term, be a good idea to
purchase a couple back ups while available.

Remember, these are OHM specific for what ever year or generation etc...

When I did the 38 gallon install, I put new one`s in both tanks as well as
2 back ups. I did keep the old one`s though for what ever reason. :dunno
Go to war with China, there goes all our replacement parts.

Goat

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas..

Newish front gas tank. New sending unit 3yrs ago. Changed fuel filter, full of rusty junk. Pulled sending unit, totally rusted! About to pull and clean tank out and get new sending unit ($31 on ebay)

1. Anyone use an alternative screen instead of the prone to break off showerhead in tank filter?
2. What happened?? Maybe bad fuel (always Sams Club) that had water contamination caused all the rust?
Post 6

I replaced the front tank last year and the strainer looked just like it did when I put it in. 0 problems in about 10 years of service. Back in it went.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
Maybe it's another part of the plan to try to force us all into electric vehicles?
I love my old vehicles (most of the time). I can't imagine owning something new and impossible to work on at home (paying labor at a dealer!). Even worse, an electric vehicle.. that's a compromise almost as ridiculous as giving up guns.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check these out!

87-89 Front tank sending unit:

87-89 Rear tank sending unit:
Has anyone purchased to know how the work... and for how long?