TC stall speed for heavy hauling question

JourneymanD

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the stock stall speed of the torque converter in the 87-88 e350 vans with a C6 was? I am getting ready to order a new trans, and I would like to match the TC as close as i can. It was working great, just putting in a new trans cause the seals are gone and it don't go into gear til it's run a bit after sitting for a few days. Never had any probs w/ the trans other then that. Of course I wasn't thinking:( to check the stall speed when everything was together, and now the engine and trans are both out.

The trans guy suggested a 1500-1600 stall converter. If anybody can make a recommendation, I am all ears. This is a e350 cutaway w/14ft box & liftgate, so I wont be:peelout redlight to redlight. I will be rolling 19-20K lbs CGVW w/trailer in tow, and will be hitting the 6-7% grades on 80 from Sacramento, Ca to Wells, NV then up 93 into Twin Falls, ID.(trans cooler & temp gauge and pyro are a must, i know)

I only want to do it once so it's gotta be right. I just don't know much about selecting a stall speed for the TC. Some advice from some of you that roll heavy would be great.

Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a custom one made for the Moosestang. I asked for 1200 RPM. They "eyeball" it when they build it based on experience. So there is no way to know for sure if that is what it is, but it is perfect in my book. The torque converter in my C6 runs circles around the one in the Moosewagon.

JourneymanD

Reaction score
Anybody else care to chime in please? what are you heavy haulers runnin? i know... 5 or 6 speed manuals... but i cant get there yet. stuck w/ the auto for now.

The dream pkg for this truck would be the cummins 6BTA w/ a 6 speed... but alas the auto & the 7.3IDI stay for now... it's a matter of having time to deal w/ a van repower and all the "creative" work arounds for the hassles. Much faster to slap in what was in it before. Besides, the old trans pulled fine. it was the slowly declining health of the old engine that started this "adventure" or rather "misadventure".

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a low stall, tripple clutch converter w/ billet cover for my E4od. I havent got to tow anything yet, but I like it. I can tell it has more low grunt and it locks in solid. I'm taking a trip this weekend, so I'll get a good Idea of the mileage difference from the old one, if any.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online