So what did you do with your truck today?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally made it to the bottom of the rabbit hole. Started out with a power steering leak. Discovered the cooler had a small hole rubbed through it, so I bought a new one. This solved the problem for a few days until the leak returned, this time it started leaking at the shaft where the pitman arm connects. Bought a seal kit as well as the proper puller to remove the arm, spent nearly an entire day trying to remove the seals without removing the box and I was unsuccessful. Figured as long as the box had to be removed, might as well replace it because to my knowledge it was original. Ordered and installed a new Red Head Steering box........"Pricey"! Wow, what a difference. Today attempting to seal-up exhaust leak to turbo. Bought a new crossover pipe from CDD. Planning to try sealing original slip joint on ATS up pipe. Fingers crossed!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Did the fuel filter head heater delete.
Since I fixed my gp controller, I noticed I was having smoking surging starts like air intrusion. All my injector return caps are new and all new lines, and I already have the filter head bleed port blocked off, so I assumed it finally bit the dust.
I also replaced the olive at the fuel inlet to the filter head. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if its sorted out.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not that I really needed it, but I picked up what I believe is another FMX transmission. It's kind of hard to tell under all the grease. I traded a set of extended cab running boards that I didn't want for it. The fluid doesn't smell burnt, so I'm guessing that it's probably good.

Attachments

• 102_4517.JPG
    102_4517.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 4

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Drove to store.
Fuel knock is back.
:fan:

By the time I got out of the store, it cleared itself out. Maybe it was just a very angry air bubble from when I had the filter head off. I sure as heck hope so.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well… I hauled home another truck today… but the situation is quite a bit different. The truck is not mine, someone has ‘hired’ me to fix it. I tried to convince them and myself that I’m probably not qualified with for hire work… but I suppose I have a decent understanding of the IDI engines, I have had them completely apart at this point, but I’m more worried about the fact that I just don’t have much experience.

Fortunately that guy is pretty easy to get along with, and is good about if it’s broke, then fix it, not one to hem and haw around…

The truck is an 85 F250, 4WD RCLB, flatbed, 6.9 C6 3.55

Base model, no A/C, fairly clean truck though. It’s beige.

It smokes white rather badly, doesn’t consume coolant though. Gets better after it warms up, and the smoke smells like barely burnt fuel. Purrs like a kitten regardless. Needs glow plugs for sure, and some front end work, I think the tanks need cleaned, probably needs injectors, that’s my guess on the smoking. I plan on pulling the injectors to start, and new o rings on the returns for now, and cleaning up the injectors, see if that helps. Seems like a familiar start, like my 86 when I got it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sounds just like my in laws truck when I got it for them. New pump and injectors solved it up right away, but they were also factory and with 220k on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online