how many teeth are on an ip gear?

JourneymanD

Reaction score
hey guys....

same # as the # of licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop i think?:dunno

I am just about ready to put a 7.3 idi in my boxtruck to replace the one i lost to blockworm:(. the replacement engine i got came out of an 89 f350. It has a gear tooth sensor on the ip gear housing. I intend to use the sensor to get pulses for a tach(dakota digital sells an interface to condition the pulses to use this sensor with any aftermarket tach), but i was wondering if someone can tell me how many teeth are on the ip gear. I found a partial pic of one on a link referencing the re-alignment of the timing marks without being able to see the dots. I have extrapolated that there are 102 teeth on the gear, but can someone that has one out of the engine verify that for me please? I dont care to take the ip housing off the dead engine unless I absolutely have to... thanks in advance.

I'll put together a tech article for all interested once i get it all sorted out and working. thanks again.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody is going to have one, and count them for you, but I think you should send them a gift card to Appleby's or something. LOL What a pain that will be. :D I bet they have to count them twice to make sure they got it right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I counted the teeth on my new gear sitting on the bench... I got 106 twice and 107 once so my thoughts are the gear has 106 teeth on it. Yes, its a tuff job counting teeth and staying on the count... this old mind wonders way to much.....:D

JourneymanD

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I also counted the teeth on the flywheel, cause vdo makes a gear tooth detector that will also work with my mess on a flywheel ring gear if you can mount it. I just marked every tenth tooth with a soapstone and all i had to do was count to ten a bunch of times. in the end i just counted how many groups of ten i had and added the short group. figured I could save the dough on the VDO sensor and the hassle to fab a bracket if i just used the sensor Ford put in the donor engine to start with. thanks again.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to be an even number or we would have variable valve and injector timing with lots of piston and valve intercou&&& , ummm interference, yeah thats it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online