Another Glow Plug problem. Clicking won't stop.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Glow Plug problem. Clicking won't stop. Turned out to be the wipers

I have spent a while looking thru the old post trying to find the same problem as what I have, with no luck. If someone knows of a thread, pls point me in the right direction.

All 8 GP's have been replaced with the beru's.
When I turn the key I get the wait to start light.
Turn the key the rest of the way and it starts right up.
Then I get the cycle on and off of the GP's, I see all the dash lights dim up and down.

This is where I am stumped. I thought this was normal until the engine was warm.

The clicking or cycle never stops, 100 degrees outside and even after the truck running for two hours I still have the dimming lights on the dash. Not the wait to start light, but all the dash lights that may be on and the radio display.

Could this be the temp sensor at the rear pass side of the block?
I was trying to find something on this since I am heading to ford in a few minutes to grab the cold start advance sensor, and thought I would save a trip.

I would almost want to say that I want to set the truck up with a manual GP push button since unless its the middle of the winter I don't think I need the GP's to cycle at all execpt for the first start. It appears that right now they cycle every time the keys turns on. Is this correct? And do I need them to cycle every time?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I am not to smart when it comes to the glow plug system but to me it sounds like there is something wrong with the glow plug controler and or the ignition switch under the dash by the steering collumn.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The clicking or cycle never stops, 100 degrees outside and even after the truck running for two hours I still have the dimming lights on the dash. Not the wait to start light, but all the dash lights that may be on and the radio display.

I am going to assume that the voltage gauge also keeps flicking?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The constant clicking means that the glow plugs are constantly cycling on and off. hopefully you can get this resolved before you burn out the glows, cuz they wont last long.

like i said i would look @ the controler and the ignition switch. i don't know how to go about testing those though.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree, at 11 bucks each, its not a fortune but its cash. I think I am gonna head out there and try to bypass the controller. At one point I saved a nice pic of the GP connections that showed which ones to unhook and such. Of course now I can't find it, the insides of my computer is just as bad as the top of the desk. :dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Yes I agree, at 11 bucks each, its not a fortune but its cash. I think I am gonna head out there and try to bypass the controller. At one point I saved a nice pic of the GP connections that showed which ones to unhook and such. Of course now I can't find it, the insides of my computer is just as bad as the top of the desk. :dunno

Are the connections for the 6.9L set up the same as the 7.3L? If so i have some nice pics.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe that I have the 7.3 system since I have the bullet style GP's.

The control sits just to the rear of the CDR behind the air cleaner, in the center of the valley right above the valley drain bolt.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I would have uploaded a couple pics but i have awsome dial-up internet & it does not like to deal with too much multi media.:mad:

If you want you can PM me your email address and i can send them to you that way. at least with email my internt at least tries to upload the pics.:backoff

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
There are a couple things it could be, one, check the ground connection for the controller. It goes from the controller over to one of the intake bolts. If it gets broken, it can cause some weird stuff to happen. They don't have the best ground system in these trucks anyway, and this is a known area of concern (my ford manual says to check it before performing any other tests). You have the solid state controller by your description and the bullet style glow plugs. Mine will cycle the glow plugs at EVERY start, regardless of engine temp, how long it's been running, etc. That part is normal. The system senses voltage drop across the glow plugs and reacts to that for the duration of the heat cycle. The constant on off however, as you are aware, is NOT normal. In fact, I rarely see mine cycle once fired off unless it is very cold. The controller can be wired manual but you use a switch to ground, not by applying power. This system does not use the coolant temp sensor for anything in regards to the glow plugs as the old systems do.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric, pics are always a good thing, I'll go ahead and send ya my e mail in a pm.

Thank You sle2115, I will check the ground when I get back from my love affair with mowing grass in the AM, actually I hate it but its gotta be done.

I installed the cold start advance sensor tonight and got the advance and the fast idle working, along with changing the oil.

Boy Oh Boy.......the 6.9 is a little different then changing the oil in the 2004 6.0, I had forgot what it was like to have oil up to my elbow.

After reading some of these post, while I had it running I tried to listen and see where the clicking was coming from. I do believe that its coming from under the dash left of the steering column. But not 100% sure.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading some of these post, while I had it running I tried to listen and see where the clicking was coming from. I do believe that its coming from under the dash left of the steering column. But not 100% sure.

To make sure it is not the GP relay when the truck is running put your finger on it and you should be able to feel if it is clicking.

An alternative way would be to not start the truck but leave the ignition on and do the same under the hood on the GP relay. It is pretty loud clicking when the truck is off and your under the hood. Mine would click because I had three bad GP's and had the dog house off when I turned the ignition on and heard that clicking it scared the :fart out of me LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mine would click because I had three bad GP's and had the dog house off when I turned the ignition on and heard that clicking it scared the :fart out of me LOL

That's another thing that will cause it, Compu Doc might have pointed out the obvious as well, there have been some on here that said the Beru/Motorcraft plugs have failed quickly for them. Might be a good idea to check them real quick as well, just to be sure. (I know you just replaced them, but...)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online