1993 F250 diesel Rear Tank

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Today i left for work as usual. After I hauled a couple loads of hot asphalt to downtown Halifax, I decided to stop for a bite to eat at home. When I came in the parking lot I seen a HUGE fuel stain in the spot where I parked my pickup truck....when I got to the shop I discovered that the rear tank was leaking like a ***** -cuss. Not impressed...I had to use an O/A torch to gracefully remove the spare tire carrier. I did not remove the plate that goes inbetween the tank and tire yet, but I know I am going to find a rusty tank.

Will the rear tank from a 1992 - 1996 F150 gasser work? It will have to be cleaned out and whatnot, but will it work with my pickup and sending unit? I also found a 32 gallon tank from a bronco...I am not so sure on this one fitting though:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 38 gallon tank in mine and it fits much like the bronco tank. The bronco tank should work and bolt right into place.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put an oversize rear tank into my 94, the donor trock was an 86. I had to cut the brackets off the frame for the spare tire carrier and carfully bend the lips on the tank down to get enough clearance to get it up there. Its a tight fit but it'll work.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found no difference between the gasser and diesel tanks, other then he presence or absense of in-tank fuel pumps.

zpd307

Reaction score
if it really wasnt too bad of of a job, i would like to put a bronco tank in the rear. but i want to keep my spare tire carrier, so i dont know if it will work....

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it really wasnt too bad of of a job, i would like to put a bronco tank in the rear. but i want to keep my spare tire carrier, so i dont know if it will work....

I can't see how it would. The bronco has the spare mounted on the back for a reason. I'm sure you could strap the spare up there but would probably have only a few inches of ground clearance. I don't really like how far down my spare hangs with the stock tank above it.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I found two smallish holes on the rear tank of my 1994, on the bottom next to the skid plate. I evaluated the damage, thought about a new/used tank and decided to try an inexpensive repair---I had nothing to loose!

What I done was to clean the bad area and screw some self tapping/self sealing screws in the holes. These were left over from a metal carport. They have been leak free now for two months-not long I know, but I have no doubt they will still be there several years from now if/when I decide to sell the truck.

You might try a similar solution for your leak-what do you have to loose?....a little fuel or several $$ for a different tank that may develop the same problem......As always, YMMV..use at your own risk...it worked for me!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! This weekend I am putting two brand new fenders on her, and I plan on removing the rear tank to see how bad the damage really is. It's leaking pretty good and it started pretty much overnight, so I am assuming the spare tire got loose and banged around causing a rock or something caught between that skid plate and the tank to puncture the tank. i got a price on a brand new tank for $100 even from my local body panel supplier..It's just a real PITA to remove the leaking tank. Diesel all over the place and all. Bottom line is if I install a new tank, UNDERCOAT, UNDERCOAT and more UNDERCOAT!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All those tanks are made in Canada anyhow by Spectra-Premium. Just bought one for my 84 MH 22 gallon $125 from Azone.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest tank is the Spectra F8D for $86. I just bought one from eBay for my 85' dually. Also there is a Dorman part 576-155. They are the bronco tanks.

Thanks Brad. I never knew they made 38 gallons tanks for our trucks except for the ones Ive seen from LMC. However they are twice the price. The Spectra F26E I found on Amazon for $169. For $83 more dollars I dont think it is worth it for 5 more gallons.

I have the 33 gallon fuel tank in my 86' and I love it. I get over 400 miles to my tank.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I picked up both tanks with straps 19/38 gallon shipped to my house for under $200 from autopartsdeal.com just make sure that the tank is not galvanized. if it is take it and get it dipped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online