Intermittent crank + start switch Again? + push button

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I wonder now if the loose ignition switch nuts were a red herring since the intermittent crank seems to be present when warm restart.
A few times the past couple days I’d turn to “start” when engine warm and it wouldn’t click at all, but sometimes it would click. The no click is a recent development.

I’ll turn my focus to ground and wiring integrity and possibly replace the starter solenoid. Napa seems to have em in stock

Guess for trouble shooting will run the engine til warm and see what happens while jumping the solenoid with a wrench

A multi-modal failure isn’t out of the question either, could be the starter switch and solenoid or something like that

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had a difficult time reproducing this no-crank issue the past week or so. It’s come up a few times but with no obvious pattern - replaced the starter solenoid with a Napa unit and we’ll see how things are from now on.
If the issue persists will look into the starter motor now and more seriously try to install a push button switch.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to repro the no-crank condition again just now. Just a click.

Likely narrowed this down to the starter motor so considering rebuild etc

Dentside diesel

Reaction score
I just went through this. My starter was a reman but has been solid for three years. Never abused or overcranked. One day it just wouldnt start, went inside came back out with tools and suddenly it was working fine. Happened again about 1 month later. I jumped the terminals on the starter and it fired right up. Solenoid was the culprit in my case. Bought a powermaster hd starter. Money well spent. No problems now. By the way if you buy a powermaster the top mounting bolt for some reason seems to give people alot of problems. use a 1/4” ratchet,socket and long extension from the front top of the starter you can get right at the bolt. Good luck. Ps. The solenoid is replaceable if you want to go that route.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I installed my PM starter I put the top bolt part way into the hole and put the right length socket and extension on the bolt and taped it all to the starter body before going under the truck to install it. Then I put the starter in and screwed the 2 lower bolts in so then the top bolt was lined up.