Ac newb questions

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in North Bend, WA, about 50 mins from Puyallup. I've never had working A/C in my pickup since I bought it(17ish years!) but someday I'll get around to it.
When I do, yes the A/C on hot days will be nice. But besides it being for the poor kiddos in the car seats with low air flow, honestly it will mostly be for the condensation on the windshield for the other 8 months of the year it constantly rains!!! The defrost setting is about useless on damp mornings without working A/C...
We get around 90 inches of rain per year.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check your vent temps?

I like this guy......

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He gets 38F vent temps on a 90F degree day at idle. He uses HFC-152a (compressed air cans) refrigerant cause its properties closely match R12.

Give me a break, it’s an IDI at least LOL

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Parts 1 & 2 for a longer watch. But goes through it well and why. I found them very informative. Just trying to help with old R12 stuff.

The videos say they don’t work, but if you click “watch on YouTube”, they work. Or they did for me.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check your vent temps?

I like this guy......

He gets 38F vent temps on a 90F degree day at idle. He uses HFC-152a (compressed air cans) refrigerant cause its properties closely match R12.

Give me a break, it’s an IDI at least LOL
That stuff is extremely flammable. But, the new refrigerant they are putting in cars now is flammable also. I have also heard you can use propane as a drop in for r12. I believe they have been using flammable refrigerants for years overseas.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stuff is extremely flammable. But, the new refrigerant they are putting in cars now is flammable also. I have also heard you can use propane as a drop in for r12. I believe they have been using flammable refrigerants for years overseas.
Thanks for the info!! I did not know. Heck my ignorant behind didn’t even think of that.

And it looks like R12 and R134a are non flammable according to the Google machine. So why would they start using flammable refrigerants now in newer cars?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! I did not know. Heck my ignorant behind didn’t even think of that.

And it looks like R12 and R134a are non flammable according to the Google machine. So why would they start using flammable refrigerants now in newer cars?
Anything to save the environment I suppose. Or a bunch of congress men and women have investments in the new refrigerant company.