“Need help using my DTI 3300s timing meter on my 6.9 IDI.”

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Push and release the offset rocker for 20 degrees of offset...
Heres a spring puller tool and the throttle wedge I use.
Working on making a pdf file.
Pray 4 me:frustrate
Loading a zip file "I hope" :smash:
effing site wont take a zip file:fan:

just realized this is the wrong meter....
guess I can quit trying to load the rest as the site wont take it...

Attachments

• 20240507_074911.jpg
    20240507_074911.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 17
  • kent moore meter.pdf
    809.9 KB · Views: 7
  • kent moore meter 2.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I got the probe to work was to jam it all the way in until it touched the balancer. When I let go it sprung back a tiny bit so it wasn’t actually touching, but ended up as close as possible.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I do it is take an old 5/16” drill and grind the end flat so you can ruin the balanced take vacuum pump out and light drill it clean
Them sand paper the tip of the probe til it fits the way you want it,
While running stick the probe in til it hits the balancer back it out till it’s reading normal

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason the probe method is difficult is because the balancer needs to be VERY true to read correctly and consistently. As i'm sure you can see they're not always perfect especially the older they get. Most go with the timing gun. I haven't used my DTI timing gun successfully yet but i'll be breaking out the timing equipment here soon to timing my new to me motor.
I got the new timing light in the mail today but no instructions are with it and I'm a little confused with the setting the degrees on the back of the gun

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need help running the timing light hit me up, I can only find good directions on how to use the probe, not the light, but I figured out how to use it.
Well I did get the light to flash not sure that it's in the right time the knob on the back assume would be set to 0 and then I would look for 8.5° on the timing tab set me straight please if I don't have that right

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I did get the light to flash not sure that it's in the right time the knob on the back assume would be set to 0 and then I would look for 8.5° on the timing tab set me straight please if I don't have that right
For the timing light? Leave the knob on the back set to zero.

With the DTI showing rpm on the left, the timing reading on the right should be zero.

Pressing either the buttons on the timing light or the DTI itself will adjust the timing number read.

Adjust the number until the timing mark is at the center of the lower hole. The readout is your current timing.

Measure timing at 2000 rpm.

Last edited:

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you abandon the mag probe?
Yes I did. I think the problem maybe the harmonic balancer it's not real true I don't know what the tolerance can be on this but it's out of round. In other words if I was to put something in the probe hole and let it just touch the harmonic balancer then it would score it on the closest side. could be out quite a bit. So I get a accurate reading at low RPM's but when I start getting up around 1500 it goes wild.
So yes I did get the light. And I am working on getting the timing set.
You may have seen my other post where I was talking about the squawking sound. I'm going to get the timing closer and see if it goes away.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing project didn't turn out too good, I've worked on this thing for couple days now the timing does not stay in place it varies by I'm not sure how many degrees but it's all over the place I didn't mention on this post about to crashing noise that the engine made yesterday. I never did find out what that was but it sounded like something fell down into the fan you know like 1/2 inch ratchet really banged around I never found anything that could have fell. And didn't see any damage on the outside of the engine, so I retarded the timing more.
So this morning it ran for half an hour. It makes such noise, so much noise that it scares me to work on the thing. Just to be honest about it. Then it started overheating I go to check the temperature and notice it's got zero oil pressure at 800 rpm. I guess that would explain why the timing mark is moving around so much. So I'm done with this for now appreciate any comments you can make.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question I have is I never did see we're turning the knob on the back of the timing light I guess that's the advanced knob made any difference.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the oil pressure sensor failed. Best of luck to ya. Was this a high mileage engine?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another question I have is I never did see we're turning the knob on the back of the timing light I guess that's the advanced knob made any difference.
Did you get the DTI timing light? If so, there's two buttons on the handle that advance and retard the timing.