ZF6 same pattern as ZF5

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
For all the nay sayers out there. Here is the proof. On the left is my ZF6 out out my 99 f550 w a powerstroke. On the left is a ZF5 out of an IDI
You must be registered for see images attach

Once the other photos load, i will show you the tin plate from the ZF6 on the ZF5 showing they are the SAME pattern

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Very nice Brad;Sweet What a cool swap that would be. That and the newer T-cases surely would be overkill for our rigs.LOL

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
This is the ZF6 with the thin tin plate(about 1/8")

This is the ZF5 with the ZF6 plate

If you notice. They are the SAME patten. The zf6 does not use an adapter plate like the ZF5 does on an IDI, so I will assume you just use the IDI adapter plate and bolt the ZF6 on

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Very nice Brad;Sweet What a cool swap that would be. That and the newer T-cases surely would be overkill for our rigs.LOL

And F'n EXPENSIVE

A ZF6 typically sells for 1000-1500. And a t-case to go with it is around 500 for a used one

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the ZF6 with the thin tin plate(about 1/8")

This is the ZF5 with the ZF6 plate

If you notice. They are the SAME patten. The zf6 does not use an adapter plate like the ZF5 does on an IDI, so I will assume you just use the IDI adapter plate and bolt the ZF6 on

That ZF5sp is just not going to work...it's missing an input shaft and other stuff from the looks of things:eek: Just thought you should know before you attempt installing it:rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the ultra light duty version.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ya I can imagine.....if it was a IRON case? :eek::rotflmao

Whats the scoop on that thar 5sp case? can a gasser gearset be stuffed in that really easy?:rolleyes::rotflmao

The zf6 is a aluminum case

As for the zf5. I am just holding on to the case, just in case I ever need one. And yes a gasser guts can be put in it

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
First of all, you have to remove the approximately 1" thick adapter plate the IDI's use in order to get the clutch and flywheel spacing correct. In other words, the bellhousing on the ZF6 is deeper and the input shaft is shorter, so the spacer has to go.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
First of all, you have to remove the approximately 1" thick adapter plate the IDI's use in order to get the clutch and flywheel spacing correct. In other words, the bellhousing on the ZF6 is deeper and the input shaft is shorter, so the spacer has to go.

I think you are wrong