Zf5-zf6 swap

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is this swap? Do drive shafts have to be shortened/lengthened or u-joints changed?
Have a zf5 4x4 that I cracked in half and found a 4x4 zf6 for pretty cheap
Does it bolt right up into the zf5's place?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Question #1: expensive.
#2: Yes.
#3: Input splines are different IIRC, which means a new clutch disc at least.
Don't forget the zf-6 uses a fluid cooler.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then
Ima just look for another zf5
They are pretty cheap around here
How hard is it to convert from a 2wd to 4wd?? Is it as easy as taking the tail off and just replacing it with my transfer case?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then
Ima just look for another zf5
They are pretty cheap around here
How hard is it to convert from a 2wd to 4wd?? Is it as easy as taking the tail off and just replacing it with my transfer case?

A 2wd zf from a f450 with the tranny mounted parking brake, yes just take the parking brake off and install your transfer case. A zf from a f250 or f350 2wd, no. It requires a complete tear down to replace the rear shaft and a couple of other things from a 4x4 zf.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard is this swap? Do drive shafts have to be shortened/lengthened or u-joints changed?
Have a zf5 4x4 that I cracked in half and found a 4x4 zf6 for pretty cheap
Does it bolt right up into the zf5's place?

U pay shipping I'll ship a ZF 4wd front half of case to you...where did yours break front or rear half?

Then I pay shipping U send parts I want as swap?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a rear section of the case and a front section they bolt together...I have a good front half of case...and as a matter of fact I've got a good rear section too.

Where is yours BROKEN?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression the zf6 is Huge in diameter compared to the zf5, and extensive sheet metal mods would be required to fit it into an OBS?

Not firsthand experience, but read that multiple times on multiple forums researching cummins swaps

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The zf5 and zf6 transmissions I've seen looked to be very similar in size and shape. I think most of the issues lie in the different input shaft and lack of bell housing adapter on the zf6 stock.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, it seems that the zf5 uses a bell housing adapter to connect to the IDI, but the zf6 doesn't use one to connect to the powerstroke. I'll see if I can't dig up a pic. The bell housing bolt patterns are the same. Though it looks like the zf6 may be larger around the rest of the transmission.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11917796&postcount=29

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Okay.
So the 2nd gen Powerstroke doesn't have the spacer/adapter, therefore making the input shaft shorter, which won't reach an idi clutch?

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the difference that requires the spacer is in the block, the shaft on the. zf6 will reach, but has different splines, so you would need a different clutch.