Zf5/zf6 into square body?

Blue moog

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this thread title might seem a bit shocking but let me explain what I can. I have a 1983 k20 project that im, among other things, doing an engine conversion on. (and obviously, an auto-manual swap) I still wish to keep it a surprise for my build thread I will eventually start but for now I need a bit of help. I am aware that zf5 was never offered in a gm and the zf6 only with a duramax and neither was there a hydraulic clutch in the 1983 year model. So here's my question, has anyone ever used a zf5/zf6 in a square body chevy? I'm mainly talking about setting up the master cylinder/pedal assembly. I realize that "anything can be done if you set your mind..." But im mainly looking for personal experience. Although its extremely rare the information im looking for, I wanted to give it a go to see if someone might know something about this.
Thanks for your time.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had more for you but the build sounds pretty cool. There was quite a few bellhousings made for the zf’s. The zf5 has a sbf, bbf, and idi bolt pattern. The powerstroke zf6 was a different pattern than the zf5s but idk if the duramax zf6 was different. What motor/t-case are you running? Have you looked at companies like advanced adaptors and Novak conversions?There’s custom/universal clutch hydraulics out there. Speedway motors comes to mind. Custom crossmembers wouldn’t be to hard to fab up. Got pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, why the ZF and not the NV4500? I'm running the NV4500 in my 97 and haven't had any trouble. Are you by chance doing an IDI/powerstroke swap into the squarebody?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 86 C20 with an SM465 I'll be scrapping soon. If you need a clutch pedal assembly PM me.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 86 C20 with an SM465 I'll be scrapping soon. If you need a clutch pedal assembly PM me.
If you were closer I’d take that rear end and engine off your hands. Hell, probably the whole truck knowing me lol

Blue moog

Reaction score
I have to ask, why the ZF and not the NV4500? I'm running the NV4500 in my 97 and haven't had any trouble. Are you by chance doing an IDI/powerstroke swap into the squarebody?

Well... Not quite a powerstroke but you are on the right track! And unfortunately an nv4500 wont work, wrong bolt pattern.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into the setups guys are using for t56/ls swaps in the square bodies. Those use a hydraulic clutch setup and most guys use the Wilwood brake/clutch master combo and external bleeder.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were closer I’d take that rear end and engine off your hands. Hell, probably the whole truck knowing me lol

If you were closer I'd deliver it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online