Zf5 is Cracked In Two Places

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bellhousing I can get fixed. But as I cleaned the case, I noticed I have a crack going half way around the rear section near the tailshaft.

If like to think my case is stressed relieved, but I'm guessing my case is junk. Is anyone offering the rear section at a reasonable cost?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to go to Advance when you are attaching photos. Otherwise you get what you see, nothing other than the word Attachment XXXXX.

Dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
issues like this is often linked to a bad trans mount and sometimes a bad motor mount too.
check them closely.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Has anyone taken this rig offroad and "played in the dirt" with it??? Like maybe jumping a creek or something??

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My case cracked in the same area. I linked it to a bad front driveshaft cv and being pull started in 4-low. I bought the truck and found the crack shortly after I got the truck running. Previous owner had been pull starting it and beating on it.

For a temp fix, I cleaned the area and sealed the leak with JB Weld to get me by... I found a good used trans and will be getting it soon.

You can still get the rear housing and it isnt overly difficult to replace but you have to fully disassemble the trans. The rear case section is ~$400.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken this rig offroad and "played in the dirt" with it??? Like maybe jumping a creek or something??

It was owned by a pipeline company and had a utility box. It's seen it's share of dusty trails.

I'm going to take it to a transmission shop and get the case cleaned. Then it's getting welded.

I hope this is a good transmission. I haven't driven it. I bought it with a bad clutch. Guess I'll take my chances.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've broke several ZF tail housings. Some maybe linked to broken motor mounts... Broke two sets before going solid. Others just a weak aluminum case. German trans, terrible engineering. In any event personally I'd get a new tailhousing. About $250 and gives you a chance to inspect the internals since it's an unknown entity.