ZF5 42 Fifth Gear Broke

William Darby

Reaction score
So my old F350 farm truck trans has been making a terrible knocking sound and grinds in fifth gear. All the other grears work fine but if you shift into 5th its like there is nothing there. So I pulled the trans and took out the gears to find a portion of the fifth gear missing:***:. What could have caused this type of damage? All of the other gears look good without damage. Can I replace the gear and rebuild it or is this thing toast? Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine I'd just slap another gear on and clean and check the bearings makes sure there wasn't any chunks that could chew up a bearing

William Darby

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking about doing. It shifted fine through all the gears so I am assuming the synchronous are fine or at least good enough for what I am doing.
The truck isn't worth a whole lot. I wouldn't even care if there was a 5th gear it just made a terrible clunking sound even if I was no driving so I figured I should fix it before it explodes. I guess I got lucky the magnet was holding on to the other piece of the gear so it was not floating around causing more damage.

William Darby

Reaction score
Would anyone know the size of the snap ring that holds on the bearing closest to fifth gear on the output side. I need a new one and can not find just that snap ring.
Was wondering if I could find on the same size at a Napa or other auto parts stores.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know the size of the snap ring that holds on the bearing closest to fifth gear on the output side. I need a new one and can not find just that snap ring.
Was wondering if I could find on the same size at a Napa or other auto parts stores.
Take it off and go down to the local napa I know at my store we keep a huge selection on hand

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online