ZF-6 in an IDI?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an E4OD and it works great so far- and I hope it stays that way- but I am curious (if I ever had transmission trouble, I'd strongly consider going to a stickshift)- I read about a lot of people here doing ZF-5 swaps, and I also was reading about a ZF-6 speed that is apparently _extremely_ rugged, and has been used in everything from super duty's to even bigger trucks. Would that ever fit in an IDI without drastic measures? Would the transfer case from an E4OD bolt up to the ZF-6?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Been done. It does call for major reworking and is expensive. The zf-6 is strong, but I dont think it is any stronger than the zf-5. Parts for a zf-6 are ridiculus, a zf-5 is just expensive.

punk

Bobus

Powerstroked
Reaction score
They can be done, but i believe it requires some tranny tunnel modifacation. Plus there not cheap too buy.. Strong? Yeah like said above its as strong as the ZF5.. But i've had 2 of them fail in my '06 F350 6.0l

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A member by the name of "Jaybee" did this several years ago. He did sell the truck a year or two ago. But, it was a big hairy deal to do. He had to fab a custom engine to tranny adaptor and a custom clutch, custom up plumbing for his Hypermax turbo.

No real advantage over a ZF-5. The extra gear is a granny gear in the ZF-6.

Heath

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I've thought about this very thing because I too have an E4OD, and I figured if i'm going to have to convert to a manual and do all the add ons anyway, why not do the zf6? Well after doing a lot of reading then and now, I think that putting in a zf5 with an underdrive unit if you wanted the granny, might be more expensive (due to the OD unit) but easier in the long run to install and run, and possibly replace if it gets broke for some reason.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
our engines have enough grunt the granny low in a zf6 would be mostly useless. I have a zf5 and have never even needed 4 lo because of it. I have driven a couple 6.0's with zf6's and even then it isnt used much (even in an overloaded f450 with a reading toolbed and boom I took off in "2nd")

punk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
our engines have enough grunt the granny low in a zf6 would be mostly useless. I have a zf5 and have never even needed 4 lo because of it. I have driven a couple 6.0's with zf6's and even then it isnt used much (even in an overloaded f450 with a reading toolbed and boom I took off in "2nd")

punk

X2 ;Sweet:D

Heath

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
if you need the low gear in 1st for moving stuff around your better off putting in a tcase and keeping it 2wd it will be easier.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap every time I have a load of whatever, the truck shakes and hops in first, but I guess its because I have 3.55's still. A friend of ours is a Road Company Mechanic and he has a 7.3 powerstroke with like a fifteen foot bed with all the tools and cranes and whatever that you would ever need. I asked him one day if it was a six speed and he said yes, and it needs every damn gear it can get LOL. But I think this thing has like 300,000 miles.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
The zf6 can take more torque input, so if you are cranking out 700# it might be worth it, you haven't gone crazy on the engine output, perhaps a turbo at most, the ZF5 is plenty.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

punk

I guess it depends on the ZF5 you get. If it is the one that is basically geared the same as the diesel T-19, I can tell you it would suck. My dad's crew with t-19, 4.10s and 285/75 tires has a hard time getting moving on a hill with my Jeep on the trailer behind it. You have to slip the clutch too much and it shakes/jumps while it's doing it. You should be able to let out the clutch without really giving it any fuel and then shift once you get moving. As far as I'm concerned, a real granny gear is a MUST if you tow in the mountains.
Travis..

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the ZF5 you get. If it is the one that is basically geared the same as the diesel T-19, I can tell you it would suck. My dad's crew with t-19, 4.10s and 285/75 tires has a hard time getting moving on a hill with my Jeep on the trailer behind it. You have to slip the clutch too much and it shakes/jumps while it's doing it. You should be able to let out the clutch without really giving it any fuel and then shift once you get moving. As far as I'm concerned, a real granny gear is a MUST if you tow in the mountains.
Travis..

amen, that lodge/grocery store on ice house rd sucks the big one coming out of on the way home. stalled it once and smelled it the second time on the 4th of july weekend.