zf-5 noise on deceleration

geek69

Reaction score
I have a 93 Ford F350 4x4 with a Cummins 5.9 connected to a zf-5. I'm experiencing what sounds like chirping when the truck slows down such as when going down a hill with the cruise on. I also notice the noise when slowing in second, third, and 5th gear. When I have the window open, the noise is more like dry bearing squeal than a chirp. This noise seems to come from the transmission rather than from the transfer case or rear end. The fluid in the transmission is up to the fill opening and clean. Any Ideas?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check your U-joints and center support bearings first(that's cheap)
if you're absolutely sure it is nothing else in your driveline, then it's your throwout bearing.(that's labor intensive)

geek69

Reaction score
U-joints and center bearing are good. I pulled the transmission, and the throw-out bearing is nice and smooth, but I bought one to put in anyway(too much work to not replace it while it's apart). I'll recheck the center bearing since I have it out. I've almost decided it must be the transmission, but I would expect to see cloudy or black oil if that were the case.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the ZF5 with the park brake on the back of the transmission?
If you do there is a separate oil fill and area that has it's own oil. If the oil isn't serviced it will cause the rear shaft to seize in the transmission or the shaft to fail. If it's squeeking from there you have a serious problem that needs instant attention.

If you don't have the park brake on back of trans.. disregard this.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the ZF5 with the park brake on the back of the transmission?
If you do there is a separate oil fill and area that has it's own oil. If the oil isn't serviced it will cause the rear shaft to seize in the transmission or the shaft to fail. If it's squeeking from there you have a serious problem that needs instant attention.

If you don't have the park brake on back of trans.. disregard this.

geek69

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Towcat. I re-checked the center bearing and it is smooth and quiet. No play at all in it either.

My zf-5 doesn't have the park brake on it. It just has the transfer case bolted directly to the tail housing. Thanks for the input.