Your recommendations for throwout bearing ZF5 IDIT

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've purchased a couple of LUK SMF conversions and I'm about to order another one. The look/feel of the TOB in the kit reminds me of something out of a gumball machine / ******* Jack box.

Have y'all had any issues with the TOB in the LUK kit? I haven't put many miles / hours on one yet. I broke one truck and sold the other.

Question 2: If you were going to purchase a throwout bearing (only), which one would you choose?

I appreciate your input.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have an answer but my luk bearing failed for no apparent reason on the way back from the meet up
as a bonus, I also found out that when I drive my pick up truck into NC it magically becomes an RV so NC AAA requires the RV plan even though GA and DEL both towed the same truck for me
I wonder if my truck becomes a boat if I drive into FLA? I might need boat coverage...

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, I installed hundreds of luk kits on these fords. I don't remember any parts failures. I always checked the fork, pivot ball and the collar for wear before installing. LUK was the goto kit for ford trucks. Sacks/Beck for VW. Valeo for for Honda.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe. I think the inner sleeve that rides on collar was plastic. I can't remember. For the plastic ones don't grease the collar - run them dry or with whatever lube comes on them.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they use plastic on the sleeve so that it doesn't Gaul the case. I think the later ZF case has a replaceable collar.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth,

If this is of the same quality as the one in the kit ... guess I'll have a spare.

You must be registered for see images attach

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was coated in so much grease in my luk kit and spun so freely I figured it was good quality, didn't pay much attention to it.

It did chirp ever so slightly when the pedal was the whole way up but a very small weak spring to hold just enough tension on the fork so its actually spinning the tob like it's supposed to when the clutch has no pressure on it and mine has been happy. So far...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight