You put what in a what???

discbrks

Reaction score
i hope to get on this form soon because im thinking of putting a diesel into my 4x4 ranger and im having a hard time deciding on what toput in it

What about a Mercedes diesel out of an old 300D or something similar? Been looking at doing the same thing on my '99 Ranger 2wd.

tgatch

Reaction score
The Mitsu would be the better of the two. Can't tell you if the Mitsu from the Dodge would bolt up or not.

Of course a Nissan SD22(N/A 52HP) would be good.. might be under powered. An SD33(n/a ~90HP) or SD33T(turbo ~110HP) would be an awsome choice. The SD22 was in their Nissan pickups. You can find them pretty cheap at times because the truck is rusting away. The SD33's are harder to find as they were in scouts. The SD33 was from 76 to 79. SD33T's were in the 1980.

A 300D engine from 1982 to 1984 would be an excellent power option for a Ranger. Couldn't tell you how it would work the Ranger transmission though. Turbo 3.0's prior to 82 are hard to find and sought after as there is no EGR. the 85 3.0 had a bunch of extra emissions garbage on it. After 85 they went to some electronic controls and a whole different engine set up.

Reaction score
I have no idea, we will have to see if I even start on this project. I think it has a C6, its a 3spd auto, havent gone under and looked at it, to much crap under the truck.

If you do not take on this project, I would be interested in getting the whole truck like it sits.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course a Nissan SD22(N/A 52HP) would be good.. might be under powered. An SD33(n/a ~90HP) or SD33T(turbo ~110HP) would be an awsome choice. The SD22 was in their Nissan pickups. You can find them pretty cheap at times because the truck is rusting away. The SD33's are harder to find as they were in scouts. The SD33 was from 76 to 79. SD33T's were in the 1980.
FWIW, the SD33's were also used in Nissan forklifts. I imagine they would have a different injector pump, but I'm pretty sure the longblock would be the same.

to much BS trying to get the mercedies in the ranger id rather go with the mitsu if i can find one
I wouldn't rule out the M-B engine that quickly. It's actually been done...someone had an '80's Ranger with an OM617 on eBay a couple of years ago, so it IS doable. IIRC, he claimed low 30's, which with an overdrive gear, I tend to believe. I was once told that M-B engines have an adapter plate on the back, and replacing this is easy...and will allow you to bolt to whatever tranny you want. But, I haven't had any direct experience...I think a mini-pickup with a 617 (or, better yet from a fuel economy standpoint, a 616) would be a really cool thing to have...

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
FWIW, the SD33's were also used in Nissan forklifts. I imagine they would have a different injector pump, but I'm pretty sure the longblock would be the same.

I wouldn't rule out the M-B engine that quickly. It's actually been done...someone had an '80's Ranger with an OM617 on eBay a couple of years ago, so it IS doable. IIRC, he claimed low 30's, which with an overdrive gear, I tend to believe. I was once told that M-B engines have an adapter plate on the back, and replacing this is easy...and will allow you to bolt to whatever tranny you want. But, I haven't had any direct experience...I think a mini-pickup with a 617 (or, better yet from a fuel economy standpoint, a 616) would be a really cool thing to have...

im still looking around to find the rite one and witch direction i want to go with it i got it for free so thats the best part ive got 500 into it so far just to get it to my road worthy standards
but if u guy find something let me know

amjperformance

Supporting vendor
Reaction score
Ford with a Cummins

Check out if you haven't already the Cummins conversion at AMJPERFORMANCE.COM. It has been a great project to be a part of.

amjperformance

Supporting vendor
Reaction score
Ranger with a diesel

I recently met a man who stuffed a fork lift diesel engine into an early model Ford Ranger. The name of the truck is 2.2 Power Joke. No joke about some serious MPGs. 60-70 mpg. I see the fruits of his labor.

amjperformance

Supporting vendor
Reaction score
Are you doing the swap yourself? If so, let us know how it goes. If not, we are trying to get more conversions to do here at the shop.

Reaction score
I am not saying either one of you is lying. But it does seem a bit too high. Maybe a miscuculation.

I knew a guy that was squeezing 47 MPG's out of his stock 82 non turbo Diesel Ranger. He did a few tricks to it and just took good care of it.