Yes another exhaust thread

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so acquired a 3.5 inch exhaust system for free! Anyway friend/customer truck in a way, current exhaust system ends with 1.5 inch gas muffler from assuming a 4 cylinder truck don't know why someone did this but it happened lol I'm going to instal this 3.5 inch exhaust I got but they would like it to be quite at least to an extent not looking for extreme performance by any means but I know this probably isn't very good for their motor with their current set up. What muffler
Is cheap/quite/ and flows decent for a 7.3 factory turbo all stock?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thankful you want a quiet muffler. I live near a busy road and the guys with the diesel pickups are louder than the 18 wheelers going by.

The stock walker muffler is cheap and can be had at most auto parts stores. But you will have to adapt it down, it's only 2.5 inches. Any muffler you get that is going to be 3.5 inches in and out is going to be loud.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thankful you want a quiet muffler. I live near a busy road and the guys with the diesel pickups are louder than the 18 wheelers going by.

The stock walker muffler is cheap and can be had at most auto parts stores. But you will have to adapt it down, it's only 2.5 inches. Any muffler you get that is going to be 3.5 inches in and out is going to be loud.
IDI's aren't terribly loud trucks when you have a turbo on it. more often than not, you can get away with a straight pipe on a turbo truck and pass a cop without worry. unfortunately, the Cummins crowd has ruined it for the rest of us. TX requires a muffler, no matter if you are turbo or not. here's my solution to that. 3" industrial muffler with a louvered core and two baffles.

You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not for the law or regulations we don't have those here for sound/ emmission. it's for a friend that wants their truck to stay quite and stock sorta my truck is straight pipe 4 inch it's not too loud until I get on it but they are after just normal people truck sounds like stock would be. I did tell them it's likely going to make some sound and whistle after the exhaust compared to what's on there now

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck with a factory turbo and a straight pipe was quieter than it was na with stock exhaust and muffler.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a good option would be something like towcat has. a customer of mine has a 24 valve with a big banks muffler and its really quite. the strait through style will make it quite and not hurt performance.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 48" Donaldson on mine.

I live in TX and before I put all new exhaust under it, I would tack a little honda silencer on the end of the pipe and drive it 2 miles to the inspector. He laughed, but he checked me off. It's a silencing device. Twisted it off in the parking lot and drove home.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont put on a flowmaster if anyone suggests it. The dually had one and it was like driving with a drum in your ear.
I gave away what you needed Daniel about a week ago. Are you around this weekend, Likely do a road trip to get that 088.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thats weird that totally went away when I installed the turbo on my truck:dunno

put it on a big hill with a load..it is still there. I have had people that hadn't been in my truck before start freaking out and look for a helicopter.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont put on a flowmaster if anyone suggests it. The dually had one and it was like driving with a drum in your ear.
I gave away what you needed Daniel about a week ago. Are you around this weekend, Likely do a road trip to get that 088.
Yes should be, have Sunday and Monday's off and Saturday mornings off also