Ya Buddy!!!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
tonight on my way home from work i got behind a 6.0L. i had both windows down in my truck and the radio on and i could still hear the whistle on that truck.:angel: then we stopped at a light, i was still behind him, at that point i turned my radio off so i could really hear. when he gave it any throttle it sounded like a jet air plane;Sweet.

i am not sure what year it was but saw that it had radius arms underneath, so what ever year they changed to those. i am sure it had an aftermarket turbo on it. i have never heard anything other than an '03 that was stock and sounded like this.

CountryBoy81

Reaction score
I have an early 04 with the 6.0 with 457,000 miles on it with a oem turbo and it whistles louder than any other diesel I have ever seen. In my opinion the 6.0 is by far the best sounding diesel out there.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also my BIL came buy with his 03 6.0, even with a muffler than he put on that turbo is insanely loud, almost annoying LOL. Ours has the 13 blade wheel, so it still has a good whistle but not nearly as much.

Pretty sure it goes like...
03 10 blade
04-05 13 blade
05-07 15 blade.

At least thats what I remember, probably wrong :D

CountryBoy81

Reaction score
It was a company truck here in Louisville. The same guy drove it for 8 years. I just got it in August from them. It was all stock until I got it. Has a pretty darn big file of service reciepts. The only thing they done to it was oil cooler, egr cooler, and injectors. Had a rough idle when I got it. It has had nothing but Valvoline Extreme Blue 15/40 and the Ford Gold Coolant in it its whole life. The mods have been on it for about 4000 miles now.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo's failed because of poor choice of metals on the exhaust side of the housing where the vgt vanes ride. Unless you drive it right, if you drive the truck to where the vgt is actuating a lot, the turbo shouldn't fail in theory.

Ford claimed it was oil coating the exhaust side of the house causing the vanes to stick witch in turn required a warranty repair replacement of the turbo, but I dont believe that one bit.

You got a good 6.0 if its held out well this long, the ones that seem to not get problems, usually dont ever have problems arise. And that 5r110 transmission is amazing. Ford figured out that a huge transmission cooler and a few filters will make your transmission last a long time.

sootman73

Reaction score
Yea i can't wait to get a new exhaust to see what my '05 sounds like but the whistle is pretty loud when you have the windows down lol

I love the sound of my truck and its prob killing my mileage cuz i'm in and out of the throttle too much LOL

sootman73

Reaction score
I think the loud 03 turbo would annoy me after a while. the turbo in my truck is def loud enough completely stock.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as much as i love turbo whistle i would probly be in the same boat. it would probly get annoying having 100% whistle all the time.

Yep!! Cool though it may sound, if you can't block the noise out of the cab, the whistle will get old right quick on a long freeway run. Learned this one the hard way :shocked:

9779scott

Reaction score
I assume you guys are running open exhaust. Does the 6.0 act like the 7.3 with open pipes and get alittle better fuel mileage or is open exhaust a no no on the 6.0. I just bought an 06