1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Y-pipe to up-pipe slip fitting

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by danno, Jul 17, 2020.

1. danno

danno Registered User

Hey guys I scrounged up a couple of used turbo “kits” off of eBay for a stock turbo bolt on for the 6.9 in my ‘86. I believe I have all of the parts except the down pipe which I can make.

Problem is test fitting all of the hot side piping the y pipe and up pipe have a slip fitting which I think is way too loose to seal. I can easily insert and remove the y pipe with it on the bench and swivel it around. I have another up pipe which seems tight but it’s full of rust and I don’t really want to go through the hassle of swapping them since the unit I’m planning to install is already fully assembled.

Question is how loose is too loose and is there anything I can do to tighten up this connection? Other than welding the damn thing together?

Short video here:

Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Philip1

Philip1 Supporting Member Supporting Member

A lot of people use the copper high temperature silicone to help seal the exhaust joints

3. nhwrench01

nhwrench01 Registered User

clean it real good, let it dry and just before you bolt it together, use ( i did) red hi temp silicone).
    not tones, just smooth around the sealing edges. let dry 1 day and try it.. it worked for me..

4. danno

danno Registered User

Thanks guys I’ll get some high temp silicone and report back..

5. danno

danno Registered User

Full circle the install went off without a hitch! I fabbed up a custom intake with parts I scooped from Summit. A few elbows and adapters and a nice tight fit.. I plan to weld a 1” bung onto a section of the intake piping to route a 1” radiator hose from the oil fill adapter to a CDR and into the intake.

FWIW the used stock turbo with the aftermarket down pipe and a custom 4” intake is really whistling. Driving it she feels sluggish so I need to take it somewhere for timing adjustment.

Still need to add a full exhaust and the boost and EGT gauges (sensor are in) to see what kind of boost and temps we are making.

More to come........[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scotty4, chillman88 and hacked89 like this.
  6. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Don't get too excited if you're not making much boost at this point. Poor engine timing may keep it from making all of it's potential boost.

7. Laine D

Laine D Full Access Member

It might not be super popular but I just welded it lol.