WTS Voltage

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could some check the voltage from the GP controller to the WTS light for me. I have no light and I am reading 4.5v. The PO cut the wire coming out of the WTS light and grounded it. It used to loop back to the GP harness and power the fuel heater and water in fuel light.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for the voltage at the glow plug relay or in the cab where the light plugs in? I realize it shouldn't be different but I'll try to check where you're looking just in case.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to this for a 91 it looks like the controller gives a ground to the wts light? What year is your truck bud? Your avatar shows what looks like a bullnose and I think they might be wired differently since they had a different controller.
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to this for a 91 it looks like the controller gives a ground to the wts light? What year is your truck bud? Your avatar shows what looks like a bullnose and I think they might be wired differently since they had a different controller.
You must be registered for see images attach
This is probably true as the controller actually pulls the GP relay to ground to turn on the GPS.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I *think* the 6.9 thread into the back of the drivers side head supply's B+ (12v) to WTS light in the "diesel cluster"

I am pretty sure the 7.3 solid state controller supply's a ground to the WTS light in the "diesel cluster"

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The avatar truck is but a memory now. I have a 89 F250 with basic 7.3 and factory gp setup.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The avatar truck is but a memory now. I have a 89 F250 with basic 7.3 and factory gp setup.

I'm pretty sure your 89 would be the same as my 91. If I get time I'll check but according to that diagram you should most likely be seeing 12V or so directly from the ignition switch.

Reaction score
Are you talking voltage when the GPs are cycling, like what you would read across the battery terminals? I have a voltmeter in my truck that's plugged into the lighter. It drops to low 11s or high 10s when the plugs first cycle. Always has.

Mike

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My WTS light was not coming on so I hooked my DVM to the purple wire coming from the controller and to ground and only saw 4.5v when the GP's were engaged. Everything worked fine just no WTS light.