WTH.!!!!!!!!!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I noticed that while having downpipe out for clutch replacement the end up the elbow was worn thru from loose rubbing. So I figured, hey no problem.
Silly me. I grabbed a stub of 3 inch, welded it on, crawled under the truck and no fitty. Im like what?? Grabbed calipers, stupid ats pipe is 2.970 OD. Im like really??/
So while home fixing mower for Michelle I just grabbed another DP and fit in nice and snug.
What a stupid thing.
I will repair old Dp later with a turned ring of tubing, should last for ever.

That Is all.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds similar to what Mel found out when he switched over to hydro boost. He got the new peddle arm for the brake. Painted it up nicely and just could not make it fit. Finally measured it and found out the automatic brake peddle shafts are smaller than the standard trans brakes peddle shafts. We live and learn.

gandalf

Reaction score
My truck was made in the far,far, frozen north. That is to say, Canada. Some things are SAE and some are metric. I never know what something will be. That being said, I converted your 2.97 inches to 7.54 cm. Actually just a hair over. So, that's just a hair over 7.5r cm. Could that be what they did, put a metric piece in there?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with where they're made. One of our PSDs was built in Canada and the other was built in the US. Exact same mix of SAE and metric parts. It's more a historical thing, which systems switched to metric (or didn't) at what time in history. The '80s and '90s were transition decades, and the big three were not the least bit co-ordinated among their divisions wrt. when to transition. That's why you'll sometimes see, for example, a GM car of that era with an engine brace with a metric fastener at one end and an SAE at the other.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oops!
aint no work like rework!
funny you posted this today,
Leeland posted an update on his truck and something caught my eye that I don't have.
ive never had it even on my old turbo.
is this piece he has on his truck vital for the longevity of the casting?
im talking about the strap connecting the cast up pipe to the flange of the cross over

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww145/lwharra/My truck/BA707876-4E29-4A1B-BAD1-CCFF56653C35.jpg
Its a good idea to keep it from falling out. I have it on mine but its between the flange and casting. Im thinking a spring arrangement to keep upward pressure on the pipe at all times.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would probably help keep it from moving around as well... My current down pipe likes to rotate slightly from time to time and start rubbing on the firewall or trans. May have to add that little tab.

lude and rude

Reaction score
Man i feel you on this... my stock dp on the truck is dented all to hell from rubbing and falling out multiply times during the PO ownership. i tried everything to get it to fit then finally put some exhaust puddy on it shoved it in with the help of my hammer. made up the bent plate and finally no more falling out..... the worst part was i had to redo it 2 days later after i got my slip joint for my exhaust stuck to the dp and needed to remove it for some work.