Wrecked DT466. Possible parts swap?

slicknickz

Reaction score
Hello I'm fairly new to the diesel seen and I starting to get some of the lingo down. I have a 91 Dodge non I/C with a cummins and 5-speed Getrag and My dad has a wrecked truck with the DT466 engine in it. I'm not sure what engine is on the truck but I noticed that the turbo is a lot larger than my stock one on the cummins. I like the idea of a twin turbo set up just to be differnet. Could I make this combination work? O the turbo is a garrett with a 4 inch down pipe. (my stock is a holset with a 3 inch down pipe.)

I also looked at the pump on the DT466 and its a Bosch? My 91 has the VE pump and its turned up but I'm not sure if its turned up all the way. I'm not sure if the pump is the "P" pump everyone always talks about but it would be pretty neat if it was. Would that pump work on my cummins? I ask all these questions because the truck is just sitting there and I'm always wanting to go faster in my truck. ;Sweet

I looked on the top of the engine and saw hp numbers of the DT466 and I think numbers of 175 and 190? if that helps any at all.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
If it's the P-pumped 466, it'll be a 93-95. The turbo isnt really that big, not a good twins unit. Put the engine in the Dodge and have the tork advantage.

aaklingler

Reaction score
It might take some work to get the turbo on. Is the pump a rotary or inline? Where are you located?

slicknickz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if its rotary or inline. I'm not sure what that means lol. sorry for not knowing so much. the pump looks like its inline where the injector lines are parallel if thats what it means? I'm in NE ohio. near the Youngstown area. But the turbo set up might be able to work? I'm not looking for 500 hp I'm just looking for around 300-340 don't want to make it unreliable for pulling a trailer and bobcat.

aaklingler

Reaction score
That would be an inline since the injector lines are in a line. The turbo and pump might work, i'm no expert on the cummins and not much better with the 466. From what they say the pump is the same as the one used on the cummins. I think there is more to it then just pulling your pump off the putting that one on. It sounds like the turbo isn't big enough to bother putting on.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
If it's the P-pumped 466, it'll be a 93-95. The turbo isnt really that big, not a good twins unit. Put the engine in the Dodge and have the tork advantage.

NOT, lol sorry.

Im not 100% sure what turbo is on that 466, but it couldnt be much bigger then an hx 40. From what I remember a bottom (second) turbo measure 26CM on the exhaust side and around 77MM on the compressor side. In other words, a HT3B from a cummins big cam IV. PM comming your way. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online