Would a 17* HPOP help me out?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Before the rally, I installed a new set of AD code injectors in the e99. I also installed a chip, with custom tunes for WMO use. I towed our 12,000lb fifth wheel a total of 275 miles and got a P1211 (ICP above/below desired) 48 times. I had my son watching the MT2500, while we were towing.

I also got more thick and black smoke, than I've ever seen a diesel put out! I constantly had to back out of the throttle, to keep the EGTs below 1,200* Even when not towing, the truck smoked gray a lot! I know I'm getting plenty of fuel pressure.. It holds between 62PSI at idle, to 50PSI at WOT.

I also put the truck on the dyno at the rally. Here's what I got:

Run #1- Stock tune.. 172.35HP Max Torque = 335.64

Run #2- W85 60tow tune.. 191.46HP Max Torque = 377.06

Run #3- W85 80Econo tune.. 182.30HP Max Torque = 390.76

The truck came on strong at first, in the 80Econo. Very quickly though, it fell on it's face and almost stalled out.

Would a 17* HPOP supply enough oil for my needs? If so... Could someone please help me find one?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I don't know what your doing to run out of oil on stock injectors, I have to run the snot out of mine with stage ones to set the check engine light.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I don't know what your doing to run out of oil on stock injectors, I have to run the snot out of mine with stage ones to set the check engine light.

Hey Gary!! We missed you at the rally!

Nick said that the IPR percentage was a bit high at idle and that the HPOP might be weak(If I remember him correctly)

I took out the stock AB injectors and installed a new set of AD injectors.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 17* hpop will help.the trick to making power with a psd is oil

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add, was that it will stumble at startup and really not want to start. When it finally lights off, it takes a few seconds to even out.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
OBS's have single shot injectors, while superduty 7.3's have split shot injectors. Now I dont know if the early 99 superduty 7.3's are split shot or not?

Anyways single shot injectors take much less oil pressure to fire off, while the split shot takes more. Thats why they went to the 17* pump on the superduty's.

If your truck is an early 99, then it has the 15* pump, and a 17* will definatly help keep the HPOP pressures up while WOT.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
OBS's have single shot injectors, while superduty 7.3's have split shot injectors. Now I dont know if the early 99 superduty 7.3's are split shot or not? Anyways single shot injectors take much less oil pressure to fire off, while the split shot takes more. Thats why they went to the 17* pump on the superduty's.If your truck is an early 99, then it has the 15* pump, and a 17* will definatly help keep the HPOP pressures up while WOT.

The e99 originally came with AB code split shots. I put AD code split shots in it. I'm pretty sure the 15* HPOP can't keep up now...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS's have single shot injectors, while superduty 7.3's have split shot injectors. Now I dont know if the early 99 superduty 7.3's are split shot or not?

If your truck is an early 99, then it has the 15* pump, and a 17* will definatly help keep the HPOP pressures up while WOT.

97s with cali emissions had splits.finding a 17* hpop can be tough as they werent used on every truck in a certain year.youll find that both were used till the 6.0 came out.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rich... I had to ask..

If I can't find a used 17*, I'll probably go with a terminator T500...

im still running the original stealth with twin 17* hpops.the newer system is now a single pump that has the appearance of a stock pump.;Sweet

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'm working out a deal, for a Terminator Engineering T500.. I just spent $2,200 for a new set of injectors.. The "Truck fund" is hurting right now..

As requested, I did a test run today...

At WOT and climbing a steep hill, the ICP dropped to 1,089PSI and the IPR was at 89%

Mid-way up the hill, the ICP was at 2,850PSI.. What a drop-off!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online