Wmo winter use?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the Midwest. We do have winter here, not severe in southern Indiana, but still cold- average 35-40f daytime, night lows easily in 10-25f.

My question:
Anyone stop wmo in winter?
Mix differently?

??
Curious about others experience.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Oregon I run wmo all year around. Does not get that cold over here. Thinned 20percent gas or so. If you have a fuel heater and two tank system you should be set. don't get the fuel to hot for the gas to vapor lock. Also starting on straight diesel and getting up to operating tempature should give good cold weather starting reliablity. Just test it by slowly upping the ratio of wmo and see what works for you. Maybe a cardboard in front of the radiator help keep the engine warmer. That's what I do. If I don't get good heat out of my cab heater then I add more thinning agent or more cardboard with the center cut out for the fan hub. Hope this helps for next winter. Summer is a good time to play around with mixes.
Cheers

janssen

Reaction score
Run W85 all winter here in Canada. -50

No thinning, Won't pump (fast) using my reg transfer pump have to use my gear pump to fill tank but the vehicle pump handles it no problem... Had more problems with gelling diesel before I switched.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
I'm in south Carolina.
I'm currently running a 30%wmo/70% off road diesel mixture.
In warmer weather I will be up too 60%/40% mixture.
I don't centrifuge anything and strictly gravity feed my oil after 2 months sitting to separate water and then gravity feed through a 2 micron filter then I use another 2 micron filter to pump into my tank.
I have only had my truck for about 8 months now but has been working great for me.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I limit my WMO % in the winter. Sometimes holding off until I have a good long trip to make.