WMO centrifuge HELP

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I made a new thread but its a different issue.

My setup can be seen here:
You must be registered for see images attach

The small tank feeds air over oil to the larger one to fill raw oil through the incoming filter then once full, it will cycle.

The pump is shown here and should be prefect rating for what i need:

I powered the pump on and it will only built 50 psi and the centrifuge sounds like garbage. I bought it used but it was never used, in the same packaging.

Am I getting too much loss through the hydraulic hose or something...?

Video of it vibrating like a mother..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PotX21ISQ&feature=youtu.be

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it straight, unheated wmo? If so you could try cutting it with rug and see if the pressure comes up.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it straight, unheated wmo? If so you could try cutting it with rug and see if the pressure comes up.

I hit it with a little heat and it didnt change much. I will try longer tomorrow. As far as the unit itself, are they usually smooth as glass?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine can sound like **** if the viscosity is too thick. I bet if you thin it out it will spin right up. The winding down airplane sound is normal.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine can sound like **** if the viscosity is too thick. I bet if you thin it out it will spin right up. The winding down airplane sound is normal.

Oh good. I thought my day was shot since it was busted. Thanks for the input.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i heated the mess out of it, thinned it to probably 50/50 with fuel oil. still wouldnt get past 70. have a second of the same pump, put it inline and got up to 80 but no more....could maybe try parallel for higher volume maybe. Its a 1/4 line out the bottom of the tank but I would think thats enough. I have a gear pump and a 1/3 hp motor. guess ill try and fab that together and see if it works, just wont be as compact as the shurflow pumps.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that didn't help it's a pump problem. It takes a lot of power to move wmo fast enough to spin up the fuge. I have a 1hp motor and had to play with the pulley sizes to get it to work. It could definitely use a bigger motor but it get the job done.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ran the wmo in to a jug and checked the flow?

I just cracked the "to trucK" port and it flowed nicely. still pretty dark though. I have clear hose on the cent. bypass and I can hear see it flowing well.

I have a direct drive industrial rotary gear pump that I was avoiding to use because its way more powerful and thought it was overkill (6.5 GPM at 100psi). I am waiting to pick up a motor that it will fit. I dont feel like messing with belts/pullies in a power steering unit. The motor is a 1hp 1750rpm recommended unit. I jerry rigged a motor and it got right up to 100. I realize i was spinning at 3750, oops. worked great lol. if its shot i have another of the same pump.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
If you are only feeding the pump with 1/4 I don't think that is enough for the suction side flow. I would want at least 1/2 and a easy path from the tank.

Another thought. I am not really familiar with that specific pump but if it is like others I have seen i believe they are a rubber diaphragm. That might not pump the same volume and pressure with oil like it would with water. I would also worry the hotter the oil the more the diaphragm performance would degrade even though the oil is thinner.

I noticed this on my truck with the diaphragm lift pump. The hotter the engine got the lower my fuel pressure went.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
FWIW, I use a 1/2 HP motor powering an old Hyundai P/S pump. The oil needs to be heated for my 65 GPH centrifuge to make 90 psi.

I might be stating the obvious but, make sure the marks on the bowl and the base of the rotor are lined up. They are balanced as a unit.

Yours looks like a PA Biodiesel unit. You could try contacting Joe at PA Biodiesel. He knows his stuff pretty well. I got good customer service from him.

I hope you have a pressure regulator for your 'fuge. I accidentally over-pressurized my system and blew out the o-ring and bent the bowl. :rolleyes:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be stating the obvious but, make sure the marks on the bowl and the base of the rotor are lined up. They are balanced as a unit.

Good call. I forgot about this, it's been awhile since I've used it.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I use a 1/2 HP motor powering an old Hyundai P/S pump. The oil needs to be heated for my 65 GPH centrifuge to make 90 psi.

Yours looks like a PA Biodiesel unit. You could try contacting Joe at PA Biodiesel. He knows his stuff pretty well. I got good customer service from him.

I hope you have a pressure regulator for your 'fuge. I accidentally over-pressurized my system and blew out the o-ring and bent the bowl. :rolleyes:

I do need a regulator. i was just bleeding off the excess to the bypass for now. did i read that the garden hose ones are adjustable?

The lines are aligned so should be good there. it seems ok when its getting correct pressure and thinned out. just down to pumps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online