WMO/AFT filtering

Discussion in 'Diesel Additives, Oils, Lubricants, Fuel, etc.' started by spg, Feb 11, 2010.

1. spg

spg Big Red

WMO/ATF filtering

In my gravity feed filtering process I have used a PH8A / 5 Micron whole house water filter then into a Permacool fuel filter for several years. Could gravity feed 5 gallons through the filter system in less than a day.

Permacool filter is advertised as a 2 micron filter.

I recently changed my filter and replaced the Permacool final filter with a Baldwin part number BF7587 as a final filter. The gravity feed filter time has went from less than a day for 5 Gallons to Now over a week and and about 3 gallons filtered and still 2 gallons to go.

From what I have been able to research the Baldwin filter is rated a 2 micron. It would seem that there is a great difference between the filtering quality between the 2 filters.

Does anyone have any experience with the Baldwin BF7587 fuel filter? Or any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. hheynow

hheynow the misanthrope

No on the Baldwin.
    Similar to filtering VO, heating the WMO thins it allowing faster filtering.

3. spg

spg Big Red

I am not concerned so much about the speed although I am amazed at how much slower it is gravity filtering. I am thinking that the Baldwin filter must be filtering a lot better than the Permacool filter was. The Baldwin filter is 10" long so it has a lot more surface area than the Permacool filter at 5" long.

I don't use a large amount so the speed it filters is not worth heating it to speed up the rate. Just trying to get the best filtration possible. And wanted to share my findings.

4. drive for free

drive for free Full Access Member

u should get some filter bags off ebay. i gravity fed like 80 gallons of umo in like 6 hours. man it was alot of work. then drove to california for free

5. spg

spg Big Red

I am looking for filtering quality not speed.I dont think you get the same quality filtering through bags as you would through an actual fuel filter.

6. h2odrx

h2odrx Anti-O

Maybe but mine sure is quick, and runs great.......;Sweet

7. Devilish

Devilish Full Access Member

Pressurize! Maybe it needs a little help. Doesn't have to be much pressure either.

8. wmoguy

wmoguy Registered User

If your looking for filtering quality get a centrifuge. You're not going to be able to filter nearly as well with any other type of readily available filter option.

9. gunz

gunz Full Access Member

I use a filter to clean my waste oil and ATF. I mix diesel fuel with it prior to filtering to thin out the mix.

10. Matrix37495

Matrix37495 The Amish Wolfman

I filter with a centrifuge like wmoguy. On my latest batches i've been miving it the filtering the mixed fuel. I run 40 gal for 5-6 hours which is something like 6-8 passes. They say that filters down to something like .5 microns, maybe less.....

11. gunz

gunz Full Access Member

I used a filtering system with buckets and 2 screw on filters. run it thru a screen coverd with cheesecloth then gravity does the rest.