with this tool....doing rear brakes on a 10.25 can actually be "easy"

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 mins each side. including swapping out wheel cylinders. visual illustration done on the easy side. the side with the e-brake arm in the way is where this tool really shines. yes, there's always the screwdriver and pliers crowd, but this is consistent.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep. It’s amazing how hard it is to find that tool. It’s the “Bendix” brake tool. I had a 78 Dodge with a Dana 60 with the Bendix brakes too.

I ordered a Blue Point one (looks like yours) from Snap On a few years ago, but i couldn’t find it listed online back in March of this year. I left mine in storage out of state and needed one again for this truck.

There is a cheaper version on Amazon that I ordered but ended up not using yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YKI95C/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The brake shoes the guy gave me with the truck that were supposed to fit it, were passenger car sized. I had too many other expenses and the shoes had lots of life left so I left them alone.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. It’s amazing how hard it is to find that tool. It’s the “Bendix” brake tool. I had a 78 Dodge with a Dana 60 with the Bendix brakes too.

I ordered a Blue Point one (looks like yours) from Snap On a few years ago, but i couldn’t find it listed online back in March of this year. I left mine in storage out of state and needed one again for this truck.

There is a cheaper version on Amazon that I ordered but ended up not using yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YKI95C/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The brake shoes the guy gave me with the truck that were supposed to fit it, were passenger car sized. I had too many other expenses and the shoes had lots of life left so I left them alone.
i own the solid handle tool, it is cumbersome with the sterling axle due to the presence of the hub assy. on a dana axle where it's imperative to remove the hub and drum, the fixed handle is good there.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
i own the solid handle tool, it is cumbersome with the sterling axle due to the presence of the hub assy. on a dana axle where it's imperative to remove the hub and drum, the fixed handle is good there.

I had to buy the special ratcheting spindle nut socket for my f250 because one of the spindle seals was leaking oil into the drum. It was like a $40 seal or something crazy. The socket was about $25 from Napa. In any case I could remove the spindle to use the $10 spring tool if I had to.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the very descriptive explanation and great pics. I purchased the second tool with the red handle but sure didn't pay that much for it. My first rear brake job I had non of these tools so I made my own. It barely worked. Second brake job I had the CORRECT tool. You bet I will be ordering the adjustable tool in the first pic.For the price it can be in "inventory" for a long time.
Note to the wise... You need this tool or you sure are in for a ruff job or rear brakes. Been there and made the tool but it JUST worked and not very well. There is no substitute for the right tool.

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I converted the 10.25 to rear disks. Rear disk setup is from a 99 e250. Just cut out the caliper brackets and weld them on. Of course you need to get rotors if you can't find a setup at the bone yard.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I converted the 10.25 to rear disks. Rear disk setup is from a 99 e250. Just cut out the caliper brackets and weld them on. Of course you need to get rotors if you can't find a setup at the bone yard.

I tried to convert a Dana 60 on a Dodge 1 ton camper van I had with an aftermarket bracket, but due to the wider position of the massive leaf springs, the bracket and calipers couldn’t fit. I had to return ship a lot of stuff from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Staff online

Members online